Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

didgeridoo mouthpeice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by olps, Feb 24, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Which way is better to make a bees wax didg mouth peice: 1) melt down the wax, let it cool a little, stick the end of the didge in the wax, turn it a little, then dip the end in cold water so it cools, then repeat about several times to build up the mouthpeice, or 2) warm up the wax, make it into a shape of a doughnut, then mold it on to the end of the didge, then while it's still warm, smooth and mold ?? thanks
    p.s. I play w/ the didge in front of my mouth, not to the side.

2. Option number one is the way I do mine.

3. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Thats the way I was leaning towards, and the way I'm gonna make mine. I've seen some made the second way, they look clumpy, and crack more often. Thanks for your advice.

4. Strangelove

Strangelove

Oct 29, 2001
    Illinois
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a diggerawhatit'sname mouthpiece?

5. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Long wooden Australian aboringinal instrument. A mouth peice for it is just bees wax so you don't hurt yout lips playing it. Didgeridoes that explain it?:D :rolleyes:

6. Strangelove

Strangelove

Oct 29, 2001
    Illinois
    Thank you my friend.

It didgeri does.

7. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I didgeridoo try to help:D :rolleyes: some one stop this...

8. I couldn't get a good noise out of a didgeridoo when I tried it - is that because I didgerididn't have a mouthpiece? - is it purely a comfort thing, or does it make it easier to play?

9. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    It's both, it's to rotect your mouth, and to form a tight-airtight seal around your mouth. It might not have worked because you need to buzz your lips like a trumpet player, maybe looser.

10. If you do an internet search, you will find a lot of info on playing techniques.

Well, didgeridon't do it anymore.:D

11. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Just made my mouthpeice, looks great! The only problem was, when I'd cool it of in water, I'd have to make sure it was dry before dipping it in the wax, or else there'd be pockets of water under the wax layer. Mine has an interesting shape, almost like a crown, has bumps at the top/end, but works fine. I didgeridid it!:D :rolleyes: :p :D

12. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Dipping the didge in wax is a great idea. I spent a ton of time kneeding my little wax ring until my hands ached. It worked in the end, but my fingers were shot. I will definitely try the melted wax idea. I'm not very bright.....

13. How many didgeridoo players do we have here? I thought I was special for playing one. I guess not. :(

14. phreaky has a didg.. which I play all the time...

I can even circular breathe! :D

Didgeridoo rules!!

click me!

15. Well I think you're all special if you can play!

I spent a year in Australia, and regret not bringing one home with me. I bought one as a present for my brother...... mmmm perhaps I'll have to steal it or follow up The_Bass' lead and then make a mouth piece!.....

Ever heard of Yothu Yindi?? They had a record called 'Treaty' that made it to No. 1 in Australia in 1991/2 with some great didgeridoo on it.

16. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have a Yothu Yindi CD. I like the music, but the lyrics are a little.... preachy/corny. I love the didges, though.

Didges are ridiculously easy to make; you don't have to get an Australian one. I use either 1 1/2 or 2 inch PVC or ABS pipe and beeswax. I like to paint them if I have time, but sometimes I will cut one for a specific song. I just cut off more until it is in tune. At a CD release party a couple years ago, I held the didge to my with one hand, and played open notes on my bass with the other. It sounded cool.

17. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have a didj, and I love it! I´ve even performed at a local bar:p ..small one..

18. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I can play it, but I don't own one at the moment. :(

19. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Here's an article from the Wall Street Journal. Warning: poor quality reporting. Read the responces!

http://www.joyousnoise.com/community/wsj.html

The author of the article chose to take a negative slant at the Westernization of the instrument. What I found most interesting were the responces sent in by those whom she slammed in her piece.

BTW, I'm a didj player, too.

20. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I'm a step closer to achieving one of my dreams!

Last weekend, I performed on bass and didjeridoo... simultaneously!

Here's a link to some pics, click on "Bassists In Front" down at the bottom. That's me with the Tacoma and playing didj in the end-of-show jam pics.

http://dcbass.org

Anthony Wellington was supposed to perform, too, but he had to cancel, damnit.

Laters,