Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by let_your_soulfly, Feb 11, 2001.

1. let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    hello fellow bassers, i wasn't sure if i should posts this under misc. or off topic. im sure john or gard wouldn't mind changing :p anyways lately ive been interested in the didgeridoo. ive done searches but ive come up with very little, so i said to myself that you guys would probably know something about it. well here are some of my questions (ill post more if anyone actually replies to this :rolleyes: ) What king of keys can you get them in? is it worth getting one painted or is plain alright? what type of material would be best? which, if any, internet site is the best for ordering one (i live in toronto canada, so something near hear would be nice)? well that's it for now...if anyone knows anything about the didge, your info would be greatly appreciated :D
  2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I played for a while in a group that played African, Irish, and Middle Eastern music with an excellent percussionist who played the didg. He had two; a hardwood "termite tube" from Australia tuned to D, and a PVC model with a decorative clay covering tuned to C. Both had beeswax mouthpieces and the sound qualities were almost identical. I believe he got one from http://www.rhythmfusion.com and the other from http://larkinthemorning.com .
    Deciding what key to get depends on what other instruments you'll be playing with; the mandolin/violin/banjo/bass line up of our band suited C and D didges, but if you play in a group with horns you'll probably want one in a flat key. My friend's two didges weren't perfectly in tune (they were a bit flat) so he managed to cut off bits and pieces until they came up to the pitches he wanted. He also told me about a telescopic metal didg that has a slide that changes the fundamental tone, like on a trombone. You might want to contact a woodwind or brass teacher to help you with circular breathing techniques for infinite sustain.
  3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I love the didj, and I've made many out of ABS or PVC pipe. I use 1-1/2 or 2-inch pipes and cut them off to the right pitch. I have an Australian bamboo didg, but I actually prefer teh PVC for sound, and I don't have to worry about cracking. I've played the expensive eucalyptus ones, and they sound cool, but weigh a lot. Buy a tube at a hardware store, and get some natural beeswax for a mouthpiece, and you're good to go.

The circular breathing took me a long time to figure out, but it is SO cool when you get the hang of it. I played a song at a CD release party where I played the didj with my right hand, and played fingered notes on my bass with my left. Talk about double bass!
  4. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Q: What kind of keys can you get them in?
    A: Any. Shop around or make your own.

Q: Is it worth getting one painted or is plain alright?
    A: It's a personal preference. I'd recommend avoiding the ones painted to look authentic or claim to be authentic. These are mostly made by Whitefellas who pay Aborigines very little money, sometimes with 6-packs of beer, to decorate them and sell them for hundreds of dollars in other countries.

Q: What type of material would be best?
    A: Something dense, non-porous.

Q: Which, if any, internet site is the best for ordering one?
    A: Again, I'd recommend avoiding websites claiming to be authentic or claim to care about Aborigine culture. Too many of them exploit the Aborigines and rape the land of natural resources by cutting down green eucalyptus trees and machinines tubes out of the wood. Then with shipping and climate changes, cracks often result and you are stuck with a piss poor instrument.

I know of only one website I'd trust: http://www.djalu.com/

For something closer, try John Madill's website
    John spent time with Aborigine tribes and came back with a new respect for their culture before he started making his didjeridoo-based instrument's, the "Balan'daki" It's a contraction of the Arnhem Land word for Whitefella, "Balanda", and their word for didjeridoo, "yirdaki."

Aborigine children nowadays often learn on PVC pipes. I'd recommend starting there before spending serious money.
  5. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I'm a step closer to achieving one of my dreams!

Last weekend, I performed on bass and didjeridoo... simultaneously!

Here's a link to some pics, click on "Bassists In Front" down at the bottom. That's me with the Tacoma and playing didj in the end-of-show jam pics.

Anthony Wellington was supposed to perform, too, but he had to cancel, damnit.

6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Personally I prefer non-beeswax mouthpieces. I don't like the sticky feeling that they leave on my mouth and I hear that they cause some people to break out.

I've made many of my own out of PVC also. They sound really good. Instead of beeswax I just buy some of those attachments that are also made of PVC and they change the diameter to a smaller size. That makes a better fit for my mouth without the beeswax and it doesn't get any more simple - it's just a cuff that you slip on the end of the pipe.

I don't like the tone of the bamboo ones I've played either.

brad cook