Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Didn't Fender file a lawsuit against Ibanez one time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Grunge_Rocker, Jun 15, 2003.

1. I have heard that they did but, not sure if this is rumour or fact. If they did what happened?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think Fender did sue Ibanez in the 80's because of what came to be known as the lawsuit basses. Ibanez in the late 70's was making copy's of the jazz and p basses. They were also copying gibson and rickenbackers too. I might add these copy's were very good thus the "lawsuit bass".

3. Must be the instruments on this page and its links then!?

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

umm......didn't Leo pass away?

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Gibson sued Ibanez, and the result was that Ibanez couldn't copy headstock designs. Interestingly enough, that didn't apply to Fender's headstock.

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    Ibanez also used a few different names as well while copying other basses,like westminster for example was one of them.though i have never physically played one,i have heard many good things about them (lawsuit models).it was'nt untill fender found out how well made they were and that people where buying them insted of the real fenders because they were equal in quality and much less expensive than the original basses.and also at the time Ibanez kind of started a craze with the copy basses,seeing how good they sold it inspired many other companies to follow suite and make their own(like ARIA,TOKIA to name a few)the most sucessful of the copyied brands were the fenders,they hit the specs on the bullseye while keeping the prices low, mostly due to the fact they did'nt have to spend money to design them and test them out. thats why generic drugs cost less than the name brand, because testing and research is'nt needed(it's already done by the original company). i have never heard any good things about the RIC copies,not many people bought them,so there are very few around,i see the fender copies around on e-bay all the time and they sell for much less than the origianls. hope this helped :D

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Geezer316 you hit the nail on the head! people talk about how much fender stunk mid to late 70's (me included) Ibanez took the opportunity to capitalize on this situation. Even gibson was having a bad time during this time, you could not give one of those away! I played a few lawsuit basses in the 70's and they were awesome!

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Smash, did it have the preamp in it. I had a friend who had one and it was off the chain!

9. The biggest difference to the Gibson originals is the fact that the Ibanez' necks were bolt on. A friend of mine used to have an Ibanez SG guitar which was just awesome - he swapped it for a Guyatone keyboard amp *shakes head*

10. thats too bad about Gibson... 70-84' period is when they made the best EVER basses!

:(

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    They had set neck models as well. I have seen a set-neck Les Paul copy.