1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Didn't think an ESP would give me GAS...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nice, I dig it. So... you gonna buy it or what?

2. If I had the money, I'd be going back and forth on whether to get this or an Ibanez. I don't have the money though, so there's nothing to really debate about at the moment.

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Looks an awful lot like the LTD B-204 I bought many years ago as my first bass - before I judged it by name and "reputation". I played it in the store, chose it over a Jazz that I really liked, and after a couple of weeks I really liked how it played and sounded for the price. But since I wasn't a "metalhead" and it wasn't a name any of my rock heroes played, I took it back while I was within my return window and got the Jazz.

FWIW, I loved the Jazz and kept it for about 7 years. But I eventually learned that the name on the headstock isn't the thing that really matters. It would be interesting to try one now to see what I think after getting a few years experience and buying/selling quite a few basses to find a set I really like. What would I think giving it a fair chance now?

EDIT - Actually, this one - ESP LTD B-204SM Electric Bass Guitar: Shop Bass & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend - looks exactly like the one I had.

4. Many overlook the LTD's because they are a second line, but make no mistake, most of the time these are very high quality instruments. I am really enjoying my LTD F-4E (especially after sanding the neck last night), My only complaint is the plastic nut, but hey that's easy enough to swap out.

5. If I bought one of these, it'd be sight-unseen. Never seen one in any of the stores around here.

6. dwh87

dwh87

Jul 31, 2007
    Cornwall
    The higher end of the ltd models is nothing to be sniffed at. Real quality and bang for your buck. A full blown ESP jazz or precision copy being available for the US market might turn a few heads. It still feels like ESP/ltd is flying under the radar and is a well kept secret.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I wish ESP actually still made...ESP's! Or at least pushed them a little harder than the LTD stuff. They used to be one of my favorite companies back in the 90s, I wanted a custom shop ESP guitar so freaking bad.

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I think you'll be really surprised at it. I never thought about ESP instruments and then picked up a used ESP LTD 7 string guitar (not bass) in the "M" series I think it is. Just plain old guitar. Got it only because it was 7 string and cheap.

Well, the more I play it the more I'm impressed with it. There is really nothing special about the style or looks but cripes does it play nice. I'd never sell it now. It became REAL obvious to me very quickly that ESP is a real sleeper brand for killer instruments and now I'm starting to think about ESP basses too.

9. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I had an ltd b404 sm ... Loved that bass but prefer 6 string basses now.

Amazing bang for buck.

10. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have an esp ltd e-50 guitar its great. Its shaped like a les paul only contoured alittle different. Its a very solid guitar. Ltds are great guitars I wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

11. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    United Republic of Europe
    IT Professional!
    I Love Mine!!!!