Die guage and standard for truss rods

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by #include <MK>, Mar 8, 2006.

1. I'm going to have a go at making a truss rod, based on the ones in the Koch and Cumpiano books (adjustable or one way twin rod system?). I have some 3/16" steel rods and other parts, but I need the right die that matches the truss rod nuts sold by various stores.

Can anyone provide the correct details of die guage and standard to match a nut they know will fit? I've tried a 10-32 NF with an lmi rod, but it doesn't fit which is surprising but then again there are so many thread standards. lmi have stated that they do use a 10-32 die, but didn't specify the standard (waiting on their reply, hopefully they will reply...), as I said the die I have doesn't fit.

2. I initially tried the 3/16" BSW, which as I expected didn't fit either.

3. Just found that Stew mac sells a 10-32 NF die.

4. Ok, egg on face. Please disregard my comments above. LMI are correct. The die to use is definately 10-32 NF. Silly me didn't remove the bur at the top of the rod and I couldn't screw the die on the thread, even though I checked the rod TPI which lined up at 32 TPI and the rod diameter.

Oh well, I'm new at this, first time I'll be cutting a thread. My apologies for this thread...where I've answered my own question, but took four posts and sporadic contemplation to get there...

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Be sure you run the die in the right direction- that is, right end first. This could have been causing you trouble, too.

6. Yep, thanks for that. It was the bur though, once the I removed it the die fit smoothly.