Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Die guage and standard for truss rods

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by #include <MK>, Mar 8, 2006.

1. I'm going to have a go at making a truss rod, based on the ones in the Koch and Cumpiano books (adjustable or one way twin rod system?). I have some 3/16" steel rods and other parts, but I need the right die that matches the truss rod nuts sold by various stores.

Can anyone provide the correct details of die guage and standard to match a nut they know will fit? I've tried a 10-32 NF with an lmi rod, but it doesn't fit which is surprising but then again there are so many thread standards. lmi have stated that they do use a 10-32 die, but didn't specify the standard (waiting on their reply, hopefully they will reply...), as I said the die I have doesn't fit.

2. I initially tried the 3/16" BSW, which as I expected didn't fit either.

3. Just found that Stew mac sells a 10-32 NF die.

4. Ok, egg on face. Please disregard my comments above. LMI are correct. The die to use is definately 10-32 NF. Silly me didn't remove the bur at the top of the rod and I couldn't screw the die on the thread, even though I checked the rod TPI which lined up at 32 TPI and the rod diameter.

Oh well, I'm new at this, first time I'll be cutting a thread. My apologies for this thread...where I've answered my own question, but took four posts and sporadic contemplation to get there...

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Be sure you run the die in the right direction- that is, right end first. This could have been causing you trouble, too.

6. Yep, thanks for that. It was the bur though, once the I removed it the die fit smoothly.