1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Diehard Fender Fans.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Sep 27, 2008.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Any diehard Fender fans out there? I mean, guys who started on Fender, never left Fender, and are still rockin them today? I have a Fender Dlx Active Jazz bass, and plan on selling my Peavey for a Precision. The crisp, clean, "Fenderish" feel is just amazing. My overall goal is to either mod an Am. P to be my own, or buy a Pino sig. bass. Any other Fenderers out there? Im sure there are.:bassist:

2. noxweb

noxweb

Apr 6, 2008
    Almada, Portugal
    I have a fender jazz bass (mexican) for a year or so, and I do really like it, but I think I will not continue with fender, mostly because I don't like the Deluxe series, and the American Vintage seems pretty expensive for what you get. The American Standard is pretty nice, but I'd rather upgrade my mexican jazz instead of paying 1200€ for a new american one (I didn't appreciate the American Bass as much as I hoped I would)

I'd rather spend a lot more money on a handmade bass, like Sadowsky (Metro series), or maybe a Jerzy Drozd

But I still think it's a good value for the money, this new American Standard series

edit: I used to think I was diehard fender, until I heard somethings better, I have not totally excluded fender from my options if I ever buy a new bass, but I will have instead, more options like Warwick, Ibanez, MusicMan, or in the expensive lot, sadowsky or jerzy drozd

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Oh yea - always loved Fenders. I started playing bass at 12 (1963) with a Kent P-copy from Sears - the usual route in that time period. Learned on it, but dreamed, as most guitar players, of the day I could and would be playing a Fender. So I did odd jobs like cutting several yards, cleaning gutters etc. saved my money, sold the Kent, and with the help of good ole Mom and Dad, went to the music store and got the brand new '66 olympic white with tort guard Precision that they had on display. One of the top 10 days in my life. I still have that '66. I also have 10 other Fenders, both Ps and Js, along with many other brands. Admittedly, some of the others play as well as the Fenders, but, IMO, there's nothing like the look of a Fender, particularly the 60s-70s with the PU and bridge covers along with the finger rest. Any Fender that I purchase, I put these items on it. I usually take 3 basses to gigs and 1 is always a Fender. :cool:

4. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I've tried almost ever Leo Fender Bass.... P, Jazz Fenders (I've owned many of each), Music Man, and G&L plus a bunch of other Basses, Ricks, Ibanez, Godin (which I kept), Alembic, etc. I started on a Fender '62 P-Bass (in 1966) and I'm now playing a 1997 Am. P-Bass Deluxe. I have a '57 RI [style] P-Bass (parts Bass, all Fender Hardware & electronics), P-Bass Plus Deluxe & Jazz Bass Plus (both 1992). They all play and sound great, just like I think a Bass should sound when I'm playing it, I'm a Fender guy all the way.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I started playing Fender in 1972. (1969-Tele-bass)

Have always had a few Fenders ever since.
    Still my #1 bass.

6. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Love my Reggie Hamilton sig. model Jazz but would like to add a Sadowsky to my arsenal. :bassist:

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Want to meet the die-hard Fender fans?

Start a thread with anything derogatory regarding Fender in it. THey'll make sure the thread is closed in a half hour at most.

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Or another J vs. P thread!:scowl:

9. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    My first bass was a P bass copy and shortly after I found a used Fender MIM P/J. After a couple of years with those basses I made the rounds through many other basses ranging from mid to higher end (Sadowsky, Roscoe, MTD...), but I kept coming back to Fender. I wouldn't say I'm a die hard Fender fan, but when you find a good one you realize what the bass is all about (at least for me). I like the simple design with passive electronics and the woody tone with the famous growl that just isn't the same with many other basses.

Unfortunately Fender instruments vary quite a bit and that's not always a good thing. For those that have only played Fenders at GC or got a hold of a "lemon" then you may not have experienced what a good Fender feels and plays like. Hopefully Fender will continue it's improvements that many players noticed for it's 2008 basses for future years.

There are plenty of builders out there that are making very nice "P" and "J" copies that will do the job as good (or maybe better) than a Fender branded bass. So I don't think the headstock has to say Fender on it to get a similar tone as a Fender.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Fender-esq is likely the only way I'll go. I'm pretty picky. I like warmoth because they have that fender vibe but your options are far less limited.

11. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    Always been a fender guy. Started on a P in high school (mmm... candy apple red), bought a MIM jazz shortly after I got to college as the P belonged to the HS and I obviously couldn't keep it. Been playing that same J since. Next one will probably be a J-bass 24 or a Warmoth Dinky J.

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    My first good bass was a 78 Precision that I bought used in 82. Eventually traded that one for the 64 that I gigged with for years, and still own. That one still get's studio time, and occational gig work.

Been using a hot rodded SX P copy for live work for better than three years, and just recently added a new Fender American Standard Precision to the heard.

I've always had at least one Fender Precision since 1982.

The 64 is the yardstick I measure all basses by. If I ever hear a bass that sounds better than that one, I'll buy it. So far, it's still the King of the Hill.