Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Diesel 2x15...eBay scam??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FireBug, Oct 21, 2005.

1. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    As a few of you probably know I just received my Diesel 2x15 cab...from ebay. When I first got it out and plugged it in I realized that the speakers were out of phase. The 9v test proved correct. The bottom speaker moves out while the top moves in. This means someone has been inside my cab.

Now, before I bought it, the guy posted a pic of the back plate which has a sticker saying "2x15 EV - combined power capacity 800 watts" and he also said that it had barely been used.

When I opened up the back of it, what do I find? Two "B-52 15-120" speakers. I am steamed! :mad: This is not what I paid for! I paid for Electro Voice speakers!

So what do I do? It cost me an arm and a leg to get this thing shipped here. Do I just save up for the EVs? or ship it back and get my money back? Why on earth would someone replace EVs with B-52??? :confused:

All this said, are the B-52s anywhere close to as good as EV? How much do they cost and how much do the EVs cost?
    http://store.yahoo.com/mesa/mesboogspeak.html
    Is the Black Shadow EVM at all related to EV speakers?
    I don't want to make this an 8 ohm cab.

Help me guys! :help: Thanks.

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    No question the guy owes you a pair of EVs. I would ask him to buy the pair and have them drop-shipped to my house. If he won't, you need your money back + shipping both ways.

Then there's ebay feedback and fraud reporting, and following up with paypal or your bank or whatever. There's also this -

http://www.auctionblacklist.com/

That really sucks dude, good luck.

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    It looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of research and then post a speaker thread. A big one.

Any info on B-52, EV, Powerhouse, and Black Shadow replacement speakers for a 2x15 Diesel cab will be greatly appreciated.

Also how to wire this thing to be in phase (series/parallel??) at 4 ohms total.

Thanks.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I know nothing about B52 speakers except they are in cheap cabs. I HAVE owned 2 Mesa Diesel 2X15s, so I can comment there. 1 was 4 ohms, 1 8, though they looked identical. Both sounded great, the 4 ohm sounded a little better. A very "colored" sound, heavy in the low mids but still having plenty of bass and highs. Super rock tone. I ended up trading one in and selling one, I moved to Bergantino cabs. I kept the speakers from the 4 ohm cab, and sold the cab with the understanding that did not have original speakers in it at a loss. I will say this: with the old Carvin speakers I sold it with, it sounded awesome. I almost kept it. Totally different, very clean and almost hi fi; this tells me it's a great cab. Of course there are a million parameters you have to match between cab and speakers or you will cause the end of the universe, but it's just possible the parameters of your cheap speakers fit the parameters of the cab well enough that it sounds good.

If the cab was advertised as having EVs, you got scammed. If not, maybe you still got scammed but the seller can claim ignorance. At best you paid too much.

As I recall Black Shadows were Mesa OEM speakers, there were different manufacturers including EV and Eden - at least my Mesa 410 had Eden made speakers in it. Sounded great.

5. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
  6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    You are absolutely correct.

7. You are right, but, did he say he has a Diezel cab? No, he said he has a Diesel 2x15, im assuming he means a Mesa Boogie one, especially seeing how alot of them were equiped with EV speakers

8. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas

ah...I see. My mistake.... I automatically think of Peter and his AWESOME amps...

I want one of the DIEZEL Bass amps SO BAD!!!!

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    +1...

~S~

PS: Look to spend at least $3-$4K though...

10. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    An old (well not quite) 2x15 Diesel model cab by Mesa Boogie. With apparently new, but very crappy speakers.

11. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    you got screwed :meh:
    hopefully you used paypal. if the seller won't take it back and refund 100% your costs, i would claim fraud and report them, get them blacklisted. that sucks, but you should be able to get your money back...
    i would suggest you get into the process immediately.
    good luck
    d

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Correct me if i'm wrong.. But you can't get the exact EV speakers that were in the original Diesels anymore. EV made them for Mesa and since they stopped, you can't get replacements.

Send the cab back at his expense and your all your money back. Contact the seller, eBay and report him and leave negative feedback.

13. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Well if the guy is trying to scam you, he would have gotten away with it had he not been a dip**** and wired the speakers wrong.

I agree that you should have the seller drop-ship you some EV's, you got all excited over the cab, waited weeks for it. Why should you just have to send it back and start looking for another one.

14. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Payment stopped by Amex. Since I don't have a credit card I got my dad to do it on his and he was smart enough to pick Amex. As of right now, the thing didn't cost a dime. It's not like I'm going to not pay the guy, but it isn't entirely in our hands anymore...more like it's up in the air. The guy will most likely notice tomorrow when 500-600 bucks is missing in whatever account he is using.

By that time I will have sent my dad an email including pictures of the speakers inside, the picture he used on his account showing the 2x15 EV sticker, an explanation of "out of phase" and "phase cancellation", along with the standard 9v battery test I used to confirm my suspicions.

I also suspect that the cabinet was not "barely used" as he stated on his auction.

I just found a price on the B-52 15-120s that are being used in my cabinet. It's not surprising: $99. EV speakers run more than twice this. One EV speaker costs MORE than both the B-52s combined. One site tells me that this B-52 speaker has been discontinued. I found the prices here:
    http://onstagevisuals.com/b52/trans/

It is beyond me why anyone would do this to a Mesa cab.

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...some cheapo who wanted to make a quick sale to an unknowing buyer...

~S~

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    It is possible that the original EV's wore out or needed to be reconed etc and they just replaced them. Just remember, you can't get them EV's anymore anyway.

17. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I was so looking forward to getting an EV loaded Diesel cab that I would have checked anyway...If you buy Porche you want to look under the hood right? :smug:

18. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    the seller probably blew the original speakers and bought cheap-o replacements, and tried to recoup the loss...at the buyers expense.
    i would definitely post a negative report with e-bay with an explination immediately. this person obviously has no problem taking advantage of people.
    sorry to hear about your problem, glad it'll get worked out in the end
    cheers
    d

19. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I can honestly say I never would have taken the time to check the speakers if I bought a cab on Ebay, definately will now though.

Edit: BTW, your sig rocks :)