Diesel Pickup Versus Toyota FJ Cruiser

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HubbardsFate, Jul 22, 2018.

1. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Hello Fellow TBers,

You may recognize me as the guy who, every few months, creates a new thread RE: my (seemingly eternal) quest for a new-to-me vehicle...:roflmao:

I bought a low-mileage, in-great-shape 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe in early March, and while it is a great car, now that I've sold my '97 GMC Sierra (about two months ago), it is also mine and the girlfriend's only vehicle, which is a pain in the you-know-what at times...and also, the Hyundai is not a vehicle that is conducive to doing a lot of the stuff that I like to do, especially in summer: exploring back roads, canoeing/camping, etc.

I've been very strongly considering a diesel pickup as my new-to-me second vehicle, but I am pretty specific in what I want (an '06/'07 GMC/Chev Duramax, LBZ engine, crew cab, longbox, under 250 K kms, loaded, although on that last point I could live without leather if it met all other criteria), and it doesn't seem like I am going to find one anytime soon, and I hate the thought of the whole summer blowing by without me having a vehicle to get some of my recreating in, so I am looking at other options.

I am somewhat interested in the Toyota FJ Cruiser, but have never set foot in - let alone test-driven - one of 'em. But here is one that is for sale locally:

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser | Cars & Trucks | Prince George | Kijiji

(For the benefit of you Yankee Doodle Dandies :smug:, $22, 500 Canadian = $17, 139 USD, and 145, 000 kms = 90, 099 miles.)

Things I am seeing in/on this FJ Cruiser that I like:

- Seems to have most, if not all, upgrade packages available for this particular make/model

- Low mileage for a ten-year-old vehicle

- Looks to be in pretty pristine condition

- Roof rack looks plenty capable for transporting my canoe

- **TOW PACKAGE** - Big bonus, as I might be investing in a smallish travel trailer next year, or a utility trailer at the very least

- Being a gasoline vehicle it will, in theory, be cheaper than a diesel RE: repairs and even routine maintenance

Things that I think I may not like about it:

- From what I have read, these FJ Cruisers are not the roomiest on the inside, even though from the outside they look huge

- I have also read that they get rather poor fuel mileage

- Poor visibility and blind spots (Note: I drive a five-ton delivery truck for work, and am accustomed to being utterly dependent on mirrors and defensive/anticipatory driving, so I don't think this is a big deal for me)

- May want to use it in a pickup-like capacity at times (hauling a travel and/or utility trailer), but as we all know, diesels are generally far superior when it comes to hauling

- Even if looked after to a tee, gasoline engines tend to call it quits sooner than well-looked-after diesels (the good ones anyways, ie., the Duramax LBZs)

I figure the worst-case scenario is that I buy the FJ Cruiser, I run it for awhile (1 to 1.5 years), then maybe sell it for (probably) not a whole lot less than I bought it for (Toyota being one of the brands that seems to hold its resale value, at least in these parts), and then get into a diesel pickup (might even be able to trade straight across for a diesel of comparable value...)

What say you, TalkBass?? I await your opinions and thoughts with bated breath...;) :thumbsup: :smug:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. Okay, so aesthetically, I think FJ Cruisers look like the illegitimate offspring of a Jeep Wrangler and a Nissan Xterra.

...that is not a compliment.

At any rate, what you can count on is pretty solid Toyota reliability and a good 4-wheel drive system. Fuel mileage is definitely less than spectacular in its class (my friend has one and I think he says it gets about 15 mpg).

I think the FJ's ergos are awkward...very upright, very rigid. I do not find the cabin to be particularly roomy, which is odd because the Japanese are practically Time Lords when it comes to making things bigger on the inside. For towing it's probably more than capable for what it is, but the short wheelbase will probably detract from the comfort while doing so. A vehicle that size may have as much a 5000-lb towing limit...depending on the receiver.

A GM K-series pickup, on the other hand, is comfortably bland so I have basically no opinion about its appearance. The interior is pretty predicable and average, and a Duramax is a stout motor, at 250km it's got a pretty fair bit of life left in it. Keep in mind you have a 10-quart (9-liter) oil change, so maintenance will be more expensive, and so will tires as you'll be required to buy load range D or E and can count on probably $200 (USD) a shoe. And diesel fuel of course is getting to be ridiculous. I don't recall if the Allison transmission was available that early, but I want to say it was, and that would be the way to go from what I understand. And yeah, it'll be a pickup, so you can haul, and naturally it will tow way better than the Toyota.

I'd go with the pickup.

HubbardsFate likes this.
  3. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Where I am, diesel has been - for several months at least - cheaper than gasoline (by about 10 cents per liter.)

And yes, the Allison transmission is in the '06/'07 GMC/Chev diesels, which is a big selling point too...

RE: The FJ Cruiser, in all honesty, aesthetically, it's taken me a long time to warm up to 'em, but I kinda like 'em these days...it's almost like how I used to be with basses: couldn't stand the sight of a maple fingerboard once upon a time, now, I can't get enough (especially birdseye...)

If I decide to go SUV and have the opportunity, I'll probably nab a 4Runner before an FJ Cruiser...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  4. wow, diesel here usually costs as much as premium gas...sometimes more.

5. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    How much would that be?

6. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Not that it should matter but Id be more comfortable putting myself out there as a sporty adventure seeking yet responsible adult vs a heehaw.
    Things might be different by you but out here, unless you use it on actual construction sites or for regular towing... owning a diesel pickup puts you in a certain category of individual that may or may not be desirable. :laugh:

7. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    :laugh:

8. ah let's see...today regular gas up the street was $3.15/gallon, and I think diesel was $3.45, so premium at that location would probably be about $3.50

The prices in this town also fluctuate +/- $0.30 a gallon from station to station.

9. Around here, it's not that you drive a pickup that will get you judged. It's the kind of pickup you drive. A jacked up pavement princess with 20" alloys is a thing. A thing that gets you mocked, that is. Everybody has a pickup around here. And an FJ Cruiser would probably get you called as an "I want to talk to a manager" type from the Sun Valley area.

MordBass and HubbardsFate like this.
  10. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Pretty much summed up how it is here...no shortage of pickups...

I don't work construction, and I can't say definitively that I'd be hauling anything on a regular basis, but yes, it would be used for towing at times.

11. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I posted in another FJ Cruiser thread a couple weeks ago, had an opportunity to pick up a 2008 with only 65K miles on it. The asking price was $20,900. That's at the high end of dealer retail book value. I hesitated and now it's sold. FJ Cruisers seem to hold their value really well.

12. If we said generic SUV versus the pickup, to be honest I'd probably vote for the SUV. My wife's car is a Subaru Forester, my own car is a Focus ST which is also a hatch. I like hatchbacks. But the FJ comes up short in a lot of places for me. Aesthetics, as I said, and fuel mileage and ergos. Enough that between the choices I'd rather have the pickup. I didn't want to do that thing that sometimes happens on forums where you present two options and someone suggests a third lol

13. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    The FJ has a certain "exclusivity" to it now that I find appealing. It's a real truck-based SUV, not a wimpy crossover. It gets terrible MPG. It holds its value. It says TOYOTA on the front, not just a badge-logo.

Me likey! lol.

Low84 and HubbardsFate like this.
  14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Fixed. :)

Mike N and OldDog52 like this.
  15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I just bought myself a 2003 Chevy 2500HD with the LB7 Duramax. For what I didn't pay for this truck, I couldn't have bought a gas powered truck in the same shape.... for once in my life, I was in the right place at the right time.

Yes diesel fuel is more expensive than gas, however I'm already pulling 18mpg out of this versus the 10mpg I might get out of the equivalent gas powered model.

HubbardsFate likes this.
  16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Nearly 30 years of driving lifted trucks with 44" tires and no one has ever had the balls to mock me to my face.

HubbardsFate likes this.
  17. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    I can absolutely picture what you're describing. Out here its the wranglers. Tons of dads buy an automatic rubicon brand new and then jack it up with every accessory possible......only to tackle the local parking lots with it.

Luciferiad likes this.
  18. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Mike, what are your thoughts on this truck:

2007 chev 3500 LTZ | Cars & Trucks | Grande Prairie | Kijiji

It's pretty much the exact config I am looking for:

- Longbox

- 4x4

- Loaded

Honestly, the only strike I have against this truck (without having seen it up close/in person) is the mileage: 312, 000 kms (193, 868 miles) is a bit higher than I'd prefer, even on a diesel...and maybe I should be wary of the fact it's been chipped too?

P.S. $10, 500 Canadian = $7969 USD

19. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    two bland options. Id go diesel

20. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Chipped + Custom Exhaust = Abused. 194K hard miles. Is emissions system intact? Unlikely. Is turbocharger at the end of service life? Probably.

I wouldn’t touch it unless that price is a screaming deal (I have no idea).

Luciferiad likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021