Diesel Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IotaNet, Mar 13, 2006.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

I ran across these pickups on Ebay and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the brand:

Diesel Pickups for Bass

I've been unable to find anything on the web or Talkbass regarding these.

Anyone familiar with 'em?
  2. Hi Dwayne,

I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

As you can see on the price list, they're dirt cheap...every model is dirt cheap. I have nothing against cheap per se, but I'll bet everything I have that they're trash because they're just too cheap. I can hear the 60 cycle hum just writing about them!

3. BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    I've got a Diesel Pickup I'll sell! But, mine ain't cheap. It's a little niosy - but you can drive the s##t out of it! Hell, you can even haul all your gear in the back.
  4. But you don't know if they're noisy, you just assume that to be the case.

I've seen Diesel pups on the 'bay, too, and am interested to learn what they're like. For $35, I'll probably go ahead and get a few.
  5. Yep, they're on e-Bay. It looks like that's how the distributor markets them. They might be fine, but I'd rather buy something I know will be good quality.
  6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Greg -

You make a good point. For another $30 one could buy a SD (or something else) and not have to worry about it.

I was just curious if anyone had experience with these.
  7. True, you could get the SDs, but then you'll most likely sound like everybody with SDs (not that it's a bad thing).

I really am going to take the plunge and get a set of them, just to see what they're like. I've got a beater bass body lying around.
  8. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I got a set of them for a shot p'up in my old Kramer Duke. It was the double jazz model. Mine wasn't noisey at all-- and it was HOT as all get out. For $35 it was worth it as I couldn't find many replacements out there.
  9. Wow, I hope I'm wrong; God knows I've been wrong before! Good, hot, quiet pickups in that price range would be great. I suppose I've gotten burned too many times on junk (of all kinds) over the years hoping to save a few bucks that I've become cynical. :oops:
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anyone else have anything to say about these pickups? I'm finding very little info on them.
  11. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I installed one of those fat poled J pickups in the neck position on a customer's Squire Jazz bass. He supplied the pickups. At the bridge I put a Basslines MM pickup.

It sounded OK. Didn't strike me as bad, or outstanding either for that matter. It was kind of an overwound J tone. Hard to tell though, because I also installed a Basslines MM preamp, but the pickup was OK sounding.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
  13. BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Avoid those Diesel pickups. they are cheap junk pickups made in China. I bought them and I couldn't use them because the coil wires were either wired incorrectly or crossed. The listing said 11.5K and the actual reading was 3K. They gave me a full refund. GFS makes a quality pickup in that price range
  14. bassdr1

Feb 17, 2011
    about 6 years ago i bought a double fat pole pickup on ebay and put it in a 71' Music Master bass , it cost $19.99.I was surprised to find it was very powerful and had great tone. At present I'm building a guitar from scratch and ordered a set of diesels for it. They are double pole double jazz. I'm gonna wire them up today and play them tonite. Judging from my past experience I have no doubt these will be just as good as the last one I bought. I think you would probably like them. A pickup is just a magnet with copper wire wrapped around them, the more wraps the more power. For the money you can't go wrong with them.:bassist:
  15. BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    maybe their single coil fat pole pickup is better but I bought the music man pickup from them and it was junk http://cgi.ebay.com/HUMBUCKER-PICKU...310?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45f7e79f0e
    I see they still falsely list the resistance at 11K when it is actually 3K in series mode. each coil was 1.5K and parallel mode was .75K. they told me they wrap it to 3K to get more treble response. I think they do it to save on copper wiring :eyebrow: at least they gave me a speedy refund