1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

diesel soapbar pickups... are these any good?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by majin502, May 10, 2006.

1. majin502

majin502

May 10, 2006
    ok so ive been playin bass for the last year and my first and only bass i own is a dean edge playmate. it has a single soapbar pick up and it sounds like pure butt. sorry dean. well founds are low and i was going to sell this bass to get another one cause i realy realy dont like the tone on this thing any more. while looking at ebay i came across an high out put soapbar pickup called diesel. its 25.00 to perchus but i can not find anything on these pick ups. someone please help me out. does any one out there have some of these and can give me some info about the sound? any info is realy greatly appreciated.

matt

2. j. lerie

j. lerie

May 24, 2007
    I ORDERED A JAZZ ONE OF THESE FROM EBAY FOR $18.00. I'M GOING TO PUT IT ON A BASS THAT HAS 2 P" PICK UPS. IT IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A 1952 JAZZ BASS SOUND TO IT. IT'S COMING FROM CANADA. I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING ON THESE EITHER.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    For $25 you don't have much to lose. Give it a try. You may get more out of your Dean though by experimenting with strings, set up including pickup height and your own playing technique. But $25 is cheap and if the pickup in your Dean really is bad, you'll get an improvement in sound.

4. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I'm about to take that plunge and find out. I have an SX body with a P in it and it sounds like pewp. For that kinda scratch, it's worth a shot.

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Guitar Fetish pickups seem pretty well liked and are very much on the cheap side. I've never used them myself, mind you, but they'd be an economical alternative. When shopping ebay for pickups I tend to stick with the name brands. Mind you I buy guitar pickups that way and the older the better.

6. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Took the words right out of my mouth (well, fingertips I guess.) A lot of modders love GFS guitar pups and I've heard a few times that they're every bit as good as your average seymour duncans or dimarzios. Whether that's true or not i can't say, but for not a ton of cash they're a good option.

I'm not sure which model would best fit your bass though, maybe the jazz? You'd have to check the dimensions to be sure.

http://www.guitarfetish.com

7. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Yeah, I've been all over the GFS stuff lately, my monitor has drool and crusted stuff on it from all the GAS...I just wanted to know if anyone had any real info on this brand. For 20 a set, I'll try a few..

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm in the planning stages of modding a 5er now, but as GFS doesn't make 5 string pickups they're completely out of the running.