Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Diet cola

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Figjam, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I prefer diet Coke over regular. People say diet is bad for you. What is in it that is bad for you?

2. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I'm not entirely sure but it could have something to do with the artificial sugars or whatever they put in it for taste help. I hated diet forever but last January switched exclusively to diet at the request of my then girlfriend-now fiance' (she's a registered nurse) and I have grown to like it very much. I don't miss regular Coke at all.

3. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Diet taste like crap. Just drink less regular and you will be fine.

4. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I use to feel that way too. Let's face it, soda is a drug (caffeine) so when you get hooked you want it all the time. If you get use to diet the taste doesn't mean as much as the satisfaction your body gets from the caffeine, and at least diet is better for you than regular so if you're going to be hooked, drink diet.

5. Just about all diet sodas are terrible, IMO. Regular Coke is nasty too.

I'm a Dr. Pepper fiend myself.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Aspartame(used to make Nutrasweet) can give one headaches.
    I don't dink much soda...I do prefer Diet Coke vs. Coke & Pepsi.

...and there are some diehards that still prefer TAB(Coke's diet soda pre-cursor to Diet Coke) over Diet Coke. Bleccchhhh.

7. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    It is assumed that it's the NutraSweet or aspartame in the diet dricks that is bad for you. Do a google search for aspartame safety. Most written bad about it is supposition. There seem to be many safety studies that show aspartame is harmless. Though many people complain of headaches and sight impairment.

Coke is coming out with a version of Diet Coke that contains Splenda instead of NutraSweet. There are some health concerns with Splenda too. Something about the addition of a chlorine molecule.

I would consume aspartame or Splenda in moderation only.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont believe i asked opinions on whether regular coke pwns diet in the a-hole. I just wanted to know why people claim its bad for you.

And its all a matter of what you get used to. Ask anyone who drank both for a long period of time. After a while you get used to teh diet taste and i actually dislike regular because it tastes too carmelly and sugary, not as crisp.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Splenda tastes horrible, i will say that. My mom always buys these stupid, sugar, caffiene, soda-free, soda. It all is splenda and there is so much in it to make it taste good that it tastes so horrible. Its very overpowering.

10. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    By itself Splenda does taste bad. Both NutraSweet and Splenda are supposed to be XXX times sweeter than sugar. Thus the concentration of either tasted straight is strong enough to make your lips curl!

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i too prefer diet for the crisp taste. i stick to brand names though, some off brands are horrid.

sure, aspartame is probably bad for you. usually when someone's telling me that they're lighting up a butt..............

12. I prefer the taste of diet to regular. Regular is just nasty. Course, water is better for you than both diet and regular.

Whats the deal with those half carb soda, like Coke C2 and Pepsi edge? Its half the carbs while diet has none. Why?

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Urban legend: The aspartame (Nutra-Sweet) in diet colas turns to formaldehyde at 86 degF. Formaldehyde is not good for you. You better hope they've kept it cool.

14. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I always found diet cola lacking flavor compared to normal cola.. But then I read the health facts and now I don't drink any soda.. :eek:

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I've learned to enjoy diet pepsi...

Diet Dr. Pepper kicks ass... any diet cherry kicks ass... diet coke sucks.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lighting up or drinking half a liter of regular soda.

As for half the carbs stuff, i think it was an attempt to tell people it tastes the same as regular, which diet clearly doesnt. I dont think those products will last long though, they taste pretty crappy.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think diet dr pepper is the best diet soda, tastes quite good, followed by diet coke. Diet pepsi is ....meh.

18. Just like any artificially created substance, there are bound to be some question marks with the artificial sweeteners used to make diet soda. Sugar isn't exactly great for you, but for the most part, the reasons for that are well known.

Even still, I would assume the sweeteners in Diet Coke aren't toxic or anything. Although, people probably said that about sweeteners containing saccharin, and look at what we've learned from that.

My mom's a dietician, and more and more it's becoming clear to me that everything is about moderation. Drink diet or regular as you prefer, but don't use a low calorie count as an excuse to go crazy. Overconsumption generally reveals a "catch."

19. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    C2 is part sugar and part aspartame. A bit of each to cut down the calorie count. My understanding is that it is not a very good seller and might be dicontinued.

20. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have read that the amount of formaldehyde produced by the breakdown of the aspartame in diet soda in the body is very small. The body absorbs more formaldehyde when breaking down a steak. We are even exposed to formaldehyde in smog and car exhaust.

Like said elsewhere in this thread - everything in moderation!