1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Diet Soda

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, May 11, 2006.

1. Aside from the "soda," "pop" thing...

I used to hate any form of diet soda. I could deal with Fresca, but none of the diet versions of big kids' soda. Last fall I decided I was getting to be a tubby bunny so I switched to diet soda. I found I didn't mind Diet Coke and actually liked Diet Mountain Dew.

The other nite we were out of Diet Coke and I made my Old Crow and Coke and, damn- I really honestly prefer the Diet Coke!!!!

2. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    orly.

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Dr Pepper is not that bad in diet... other then that... I rather have no soda then diet soda.

My solution to the problem is drinking regular soda but only once in a while... and when I do... it's usually Mexican coke, fanta, fresca or even Pepsi. Only soda I respect that is not Mexican is Dr Pepper and A&W root beer (especially float).

The day when Mexico starts to export Dr Pepper and Root beer is the day I will wet my pants.

4. RLY

manimal.

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY

As far as I know fresca is diet... check up on it though, i'm not positive.

edit: yeah, according to wikipedia... its a calorie-free soda: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresca

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Ok thats not it then... it's something that looks simular... I'll buy one today and comeback with results... it's not my fav anyway. :)

7. Diet Mountain Dew. That is the stuff. There is nothing else that even comes close, except maybe ethylene glycol and club soda. :hyper: :D

BTW I found out from the web site that there is actually a caffeine free version of Mountain Dew available. Everytime I tell someone that they ask the same one-word question. Can you guess what that question is?

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    It's either:

caffeine???

or

OMGFDWTFDUCTSIRWTSGMLOTS

9. Actually, the question asked in almost 99 44/100% of all cases is:

Why??

10. Dude, that won't do anything. You have to drop soda all together. Just because you aren't getting calories doesn't mean that everything else in it isn't making you fat. :rolleyes:

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Hmmm... i see...

See i didnt even know there was coffee in Mt Dew... I've learned something new today.

12. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    there's no sugar though... and sugar is a carbohydrate.. and carbs have been known to make you gain weight...

edit: btw, genz benz is a good choice

13. I read something a few weeks ago about drinking diet soda not causing weight loss. Apparently unless you cut out nearly all sugar your body will crave other sugar from other sources, usually other sweets but in some cases other carbs, to replace it. So it said, I dunno. Has anyone ever effectively proven that diet soda makes you loose weight? I can say that I started drinking non-diet soda again a few months ago and I haven't put on a pound. And boy, I sure am happier! But that's me...

14. I prefer it as well... I guess it's a by-product of my working out. I feel bad whenever I consume useless calories. Nothing is as useless as the sugar in a regular soft drink. I've gotten quite used to the taste as well, prefering the diet to the regular soft drink.

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Diet soda is not a diet. It wont cause you to lose weight, but shouldn't contribute to gaining any either.

I was a LONG time diet pop hater, until I spent 3 months on a diet drinking nothing but water. Come back to diet soda then, it is pretty good....and all I drink now.

DMD all the way!

16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i drink essentially nothing but water, and i still think that diet soda is nasty. :meh:

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i can drink diet dr. pepper and maybe diet coke.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with Big Baller Brad Barker on this one. I don't drink soda of any flavor. When i have tasted diet soda, I just wonder to myself what people find appealing about it.

Another thing I have noticed, I only see obese women drinking diet soda. I rarely, if ever, see a slim fit woman drinking diet soda.

-Mike

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Would you like to explain to me how you can "get fat" from a product with ZERO calories?:rolleyes:

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    And if ya like Diet Coke, try Coke Zero. To me, it tastes a TON better. DMD rules too.