Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

diff between a 410 and a 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slick519, Mar 22, 2002.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, i want to get a carvin R1000 with a 410 cab on top, but im not sure whether i want a 410 on bottom or a 115 on bottom.

i jstu dont know what the difference in sound is, does the 15 inch have a bigger lowend?

if you dont quite understand my set up, it looks like this:

^^
    ^^ = 410 cab

( ) = 15 inch cab

__ = head

This is one setup, how does this sound?
    __
    ^^
    ^^
    ( )

and then whats the difference between the setup above and the one below?
    __
    ^^
    ^^
    ^^
    ^^

by the way, both of the speaker cabs are coming from www.avatarspeakers.com (the 15 inch is the regular sized one)

Thanks for all your help,
    =w=Slicks=w=

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The amount of bottom end will probably be about the same. The 15 will probably have more low midrange emphasis and less high end giving the ILLUSION of more bottom end.

The real difference? A few hundred bucks and about 30 pounds :D

My take is that for high volume rock stacks, going with all 10s makes sense, it's easier to hear. Most rock gigs are in rooms with terrible sound, the less heavy bottom and the more midrange you can get in your signal, the better you will sound to yourself AND the audience. Let the PA do the rumbling stuff for you.

3. I use Ampeg cabs, a 4x10 on top and a 1x18 on the bottom. There is no "illusion" of bottom end, it is quite real. I've heard Bag End 1x15's that are really nice too.

If you want just one cab, go for th 4x10. If you want two, I suggest mixing them - for me, 8 10's is too much of the same sound. But that's just me :)

Greg

4. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hey thanks guys, thanks alot

=w=Slicks=w=

5. OldBassman

OldBassman Supporting Member

The Carvin RL1018 with a 4x10 and a 1x18 is a good cab mix. I got the 1x15 and kinda wish I had gotten the 1x18. I generally use only the 4x10 cab and run the DI into the PA which includes 18' subs. If I decide to get another cab most likely it will be the 4x10. More speaker area and the 10's respond quicker.

6. I like the combination of a 4 x 10 and a 1 x 15 for rock and blues in bigger venues. The 15 will defintely emphasis the lower mids, but as previously stated, not necessarily produce more bottom end. For that, a 1 x 18 is in order, though I find them generally too muddy sounding.

Single cab gig - small room I use a 4 x 10 or a 1 x15 (lighter, smaller on a crowded stage). Mid size venue - 4 x 10. Large venue - 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 stacked. I use SWR WM series cabs - good sound and value.