1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Diff between a thumb bolt and thumb neck through

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Hey, well as it says, is there much tonal diff between a warwick thumb bolt on and a neck through......

hmmmmmm, Recent GAS addition
    [​IMG]
    Bolt on

[​IMG]
    Neck through

Id love to play beside satriani with this...lol
    [​IMG]

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Heath-
    I find the thumb B/o to be much more punchy and snappy.... great growl on both no question there.

I have opted for the B/O for sound quality and tone alone... but in addition the N/T just didn/t feel right at all.

Best advice I can give is to play as many as you can as they vary in feel, tone, and overall quality.

On another note I don't know if they can custom paint it that pastel color you like...... ;) jk

good luck bro... :bassist:

3. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    IMHO the bolt on is the way to go. I had a thumb bolt-on and loved it. seemed to have more snap then the neck through. I took the stock Picks out and put in barts though. I personally loved the bass with the barts. Happy hunting in the land of Fosters bro.... :p
    Keep the Funk Alive!!!!!

4. Cheers Mate, there is a problem though, the only distributor in aus is in another state, at least a 2 day drive, plus i wanna try a corvette as well, but ill agree in advance on the neck through comment, ive never liked a neck through bass except for an ibanez musician and the doug wimbish signature......

ill just have to live with the natural finish eh? i love that color, MM make a stingray close to it as well :D :hyper:

5. I prefer Tooheys and Corona's :p lol
    i am a rubber funkateer..lol

6. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    The Funk from Down Under!!!! If ya can run the Warwick through an SVT classic. The "growl" is outstanding....
    BTW I hear great things about the Jazzman...just a thought. :D
    Kool and the Gang sound oh so dandy!!!!

7. ive got a peavey mark 3 ATM(ill be getin an external power amp), and i found a peavey 1516 (15"black widow and 2 8") cab, but i do have some gas for some acme cabs and alembic preamp......mmmmmm.....damn there isn't a drool emoticon, we should reccomend that one..lol

Ah, Bootzilla, comin through yo earhole, thankin ya for checkin out my new cd...lol...thats one bass i want but will never have, bootsys spaec bass with the 5 single coils (insert 5 drool emoticons here)

heath

no beer and no bass make heath go sumthing sumthing

8. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Jedi style? sounds o.k... :D Alembic pre amp eh? I have serious GAS over Alembic...are there any dealers downunder?
    Would be intesting to play a Warwick and Alembic side by side.

9. my kubickis getting lonely, this are her future sisters hopefully,

MusicMan Stingray 4
    Alembic Epic 4
    Warwick Thumb 4
    Bootsy's Space Bass 4
    another Kubicki 4
    Alembic Triple Omega 8 String (JpJ Style)
    Modulus Flea Bass 4

Well, thats my lifetime gas, im one step there...lol...id have a room when i move out to be my bass shrine..lol...the only room in the house to have alarms