Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Diff between Warwick Thumb and Corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzucker, Mar 20, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    On the 5 and 6 it appears they are using identical body wood and pickups and electronics. Other than the body shape and pickup placement, what are the other differences? I'm wondering if the Thumb is worth an extra $350?

2. These basses do not have the same wood. But to answer your question the sound and feel are completely different. Which can pretty much be the #1 and #2 things to consider when picking a bass. If u use the search option you'll find a plethora of threads on this topic. I highly recommend you try these out first.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The extra $350 is to pay for the poor balance.

4. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Oops, you're right.

I thought they were both ovangkol...

To the other poster, are you saying the thumb is neck heavy? I borrowed a corvette 4 and a thumb 5 but between the 4 and 5 string, the active electronics on the thumb and passives on the 'vette, it's hard to get a feel for which one I like better. Seems like the thumb has more bottom end in passive mode. I'm getting hum from the 'vette's pickups. Doesn't the thumb use the same pickups but with a preamp?

Jaz

5. play a tumb then play a corvette you'll feel and hear the differnce, I would pay the extra money for a thumb, that is if I had it....

6. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Problem is that GC does not have an active corvette. I have played the active thumb5 next to the passive corvette 4 but at's not an apples/apples comparison.

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I concur. I played both and went with a thumb 5. It has the slimest, fastest, most comfortable neck of any bass I own.

8. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Thumbs are awesome! The corvettes never felt good to me in my opinion. The fretboard always felt like it was concave and sunken in...

I think with Warwick, you definatly get what you pay for... The more it cost is actually concurrent with how it plays and sounds... Little more TLC was put into those as well. Just my opinion however.

9. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Based on your description of the pickups, sounds like you were comparing a completely passive Corvette to the Thumb 5. The passive pickups in the Corvette Standard can be a bit noisy depending on environment. My understanding is that they are not reverse wound so even with both pickups balanced they can hum a bit. The Thumb's pickups are active and should be quiet overall, especially with the preamp activated. Regarding the balance question, each bass "hangs" a bit differently. The Corvette's upper horn extends out to the 13th or 14th fret, combined with the heavier bubinga body, will balance more with the neck closer to a 45 degree upwards angle. The Thumb upper horn is a little further out there around the 15th or 16 fret (can't remember) and will have the bass sitting more on the level side. The best thing to do is to try each bass again with a strap sitting and standing (you may have done this already) and see which one feels better. I used to own a passive Corvette standard 4-string and although it was a heavy bass it balanced perfectly. The main difference between these models (if you were to compare apples to apples i.e. both with active pickups and the preamp) is pickup placement. The Thumb has a unique pickup placement which is one of the factors that gives it the unique tone. I found the Corvettes pickup placement can yield some more traditional tones although still having the Warwick characteristic. In the end, if the Thumb tone is what you're after but the balance issue has you concerned, there are a number of things that can be done to offset some of these issues, although will add some additional cost, so that may be an issue. Hope this helps.

10. Sure, I here ya on the active-passive plight. Problem is, we can't answer what you'll like and as is, these basses are just so different.

GC can do relocations for you and pull one in from a neightboring GC. You don't have to pay for it no matter what they say. It's like a car dealer where it's up to you to make the stand. Worst case u always have the 30 day return policy.

As for others comments, i don't understand them but maybe they'll chime back in to clarify. Thumb has bad balance and short horn but the neck dive really only manifests itself when hung low. Can't do much about the reach with the short horn. Not sure what he meant with extra 350 is for balance. As for "the thumb is the slimmest neck" I'm not sure how many basses he's played so maybe it is for him. One thing I can tell u about both of these and warwicks in general is they'll have thicker necks compared to most basses. They will also be fairly heavy overall so consider that if u play long sets. I find them very comfortable tho personally. Streamer had the most fender type standing, after that the corvette is a little bit more of a stretch with the shorter horn and thumb is just completely different from everything else in feel and in sound. I believe all warwicks are same radius too and string spacing so i'm not sure about the sunken neck comments above. Good luck.

11. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    both are good, but everyone is right, it depends on what kind of feel and sound you like/want. as for the balance issues on the thumb, i personally think people over exagerate about the neck dive. when i was playin a bo thumb 5 at a gc, i had them bring me a strap. im only 5'6 and they brought me a strap for Andre the Giant! anyways, the bass hung at at my hips and im a between the belly and chest player and i did not feel as though neck dive was killer.

12. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Well, I play a lot of slapping and tapping and solo bass stuff. I'm writing a book on slapping, popping and tapping for guitar and since they're just bass riffs anyway, I'm composing the lines on bass first. As a side note, I was originally going to release the book for guitar only but I think I'm going to do a bass version.

So anyway, I'm doing a lot of tapping and slapping currently but I still love the sound of a great fender type bass like the Sadowsky. A buddy of mine (Kip Reed) has a pair of Sadowsky's that sound incredible. I haven't played them in a while but my impression was that they were better for fingerstyle or Marcus Miller type of slapping as opposed to the Wooten type of stuff I'm working on for my book...

If I start gigging regularly on bass I could see using a Sadowsky for gigs and something else for the solo stuff...

Anyway, that's where I am in terms of what I'm looking for.

13. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    UPDATE...

I finally got some strap locks to try the thumb bass standing up. It's neck heavy. :(

Looks like it's a no-go for me. Maybe I'll stick with the corvette or look at some other brands...

14. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Would love to get a copy of the bass book.