Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIff Pups for Different basses

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ZenBass, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Random question...

Just Curious really..

Jazz bass u see Jazz Pups
    P Basses u see P-Bass pups
    MM u see a MM style pickup

Bases that arent based upon a Jazz or P Shape you very rarely see Jazz pickups on them.. more Soapbars, Dual Coil Humbuckers and the like

Is there a Reason for this...

I cant see a reason why bass building wouldnt use a set of Jazz Pickups on say a MTD, Fodera and or Tobais...

bassically I am building this project

[​IMG]

Not a standard Jazz shape more a Peavey Cirrus-esq shape..I went straight for Soapbars / Humbuckers cause that what is widely used on this style of bass...but what about jazz :p...

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    you get diffrent sounds from the diff type pups.

Hum/soaps usually more hi fi sound, P more of a deep thump sound, J more of a growly sound, more in the mid range, then again theres hum jazz style, which are a bit more hi fi.

really, its what type of sound you shoot for, not the body shape.

i have a P body with jazz pups on it...

3. That was my initial thinking...

But having a Good quality pair of Jazz Pups and a good quality Pre-amp is always a good start

i have a pair of Marcus Miller Jazz Pickups and tonal circuit kicking aobut was thinkin about using them in conjunction with a Shack 18v System or maybe a op-1 or Sad onboard pre-amp...

Though i would probably get some black soapbar covers cuase i like the look...

tryin to find them in the UK is always fun :)

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Soapbar refers to the shape only, not the coil configuration. You can have soapbar P pickups, soapbar single coils etc.

One reason I like soapbars is that mfr's like Bart and EMG will make different coil configurations available in the same soapbar shape. So you can, say, swap between a P and a J in neck position by only changing the pickup - and swap back if you don't like it without any routing having to be done.