Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between 123's and 149's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Steve Cat, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Steve Cat

Steve Cat

Mar 19, 2001
    What's the difference in sound between DP123's, Standard Jazz instead of DP149 Ultra Jazz?

2. Dunno. Check www.dimarzio.com for the little bar-graphs. I went for the 123's because I wanted the lower thud and bump sound, not the pleckety-pleckety slapping and popping sound. The 149's are probably more "modern" sounding.

Chris

3. I haven't tried them both, but my impression is that the 123s are more thuddy, the 149s more alive. I got the 149s and am thrilled. Mucho growl.

4. I don't know.. that's a good question. I get the impression that the DP123s have more growl and snarl. I have a pair of them in my MIM Jazz, and that bass has some serious balls. I have a single DP149 in my Carl Thompson, and it sounds more refined to me.. but that may have something to do with the bass as well. The CT and the Jazz are apples and oranges.
    The DP123 also has height-adjustable pole-pieces, which is a cool feature.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    You may want to visit Bass Player magazine's shootout of a bunch of j pickups, including the 149 and 123 set:

http://www.bassplayer.com/z1999/9903/pickups2.shtml

I have a set of 149 UltraJazz in my FrankenWarmoth with a set of piezo saddles as well, and they are very nice.