difference between 250k and 500k pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jim primate, Dec 20, 2003.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i'm putting stacked pots in my j-bass but the only ones i can find are 500k what sonic difference will this make over the standard 250k pots?
  2. What is a Potentiometer and How does it work?

You can use any value you like, but a 250K will give a slightly warmer tone than a 500K pot. The 250K pot bleeds off (attenuates) some of the high frequencies to ground. A 1Meg-ohm pot will attenuate even less than a 500K pot, so if you want to hear your guitar "wide open" you may want to try one.

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    So does that mean that the higher the pot number, the more tonal options that are available, especially on the high end?
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You could look at it that way. With the 500K pot, you'll be getting more of the original pickup signal without any of the attenuation you'd get with a 250K pot.
  5. leftybasswtf

Mar 1, 2008
    If you have a 500k pot and roll the knob back a bit would it equal a wide-open 250k pot?
  6. ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Not completely. A 500k pot has a total of 500k ohms between the pickup and ground, the 250k will always have 250k, regardless of the position of the wiper.
  7. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    And what about linear and audio, is there any difference other than the ratio?
  8. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    pots are pots are pots. They don't have any effect on tone by themselves. It's their relationship with the capacitor that effects the tone.