Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

difference between a P bass and a bass with a humbucker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cobra_lucha, Jul 18, 2005.

1. cobra_lucha

cobra_lucha

Jul 18, 2005
    I'm new to bass, and have finally decided to buy a bass, after realizing all my songs and jams would sound better on bass, "i've played guitar for 3 years". i want a bass with a thick tone, it has to sound nice distorted, i will be playing stuff like lightning bolt, Thrones , DFA 1979. I don't know what the difference is between humbuckers and p bass. which one should I get for my scenario, I play mostly pop/punk/rock. THANKS

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A P-bass pickup IS a type of humbucker. The P-bass is just a split coil wound in opposite directions for hum cancelling. A humbucker, as a guitar player you should know does the same thing.

A Fender P is the classic pop/punk/rock bass.

3. so do both get a similar sound? if you were building custom why would you want one over the other?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    silent method... that's not really a question that can be answered. A humbucker is a type of pickup as opposed to single coils. Basically whether or not the pickup has a second coil for hum cancellation.

A P-bass pickup will sound like a P-bass pickup all the time, but a humbucker can be wound so many diferent ways that it could sound like many things.

5. ok thanks man!