1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

difference between a P bass and a bass with a humbucker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cobra_lucha, Jul 18, 2005.

1. cobra_lucha

cobra_lucha

Jul 18, 2005
    I'm new to bass, and have finally decided to buy a bass, after realizing all my songs and jams would sound better on bass, "i've played guitar for 3 years". i want a bass with a thick tone, it has to sound nice distorted, i will be playing stuff like lightning bolt, Thrones , DFA 1979. I don't know what the difference is between humbuckers and p bass. which one should I get for my scenario, I play mostly pop/punk/rock. THANKS

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A P-bass pickup IS a type of humbucker. The P-bass is just a split coil wound in opposite directions for hum cancelling. A humbucker, as a guitar player you should know does the same thing.

A Fender P is the classic pop/punk/rock bass.

3. so do both get a similar sound? if you were building custom why would you want one over the other?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    silent method... that's not really a question that can be answered. A humbucker is a type of pickup as opposed to single coils. Basically whether or not the pickup has a second coil for hum cancellation.

A P-bass pickup will sound like a P-bass pickup all the time, but a humbucker can be wound so many diferent ways that it could sound like many things.

5. ok thanks man!