Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

difference between a spector and a fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pixi_melissa, Feb 11, 2001.

1. pixi_melissa

pixi_melissa

Feb 11, 2001
    Hello,
    I recently started playing bass this summer,I worked really hard to get one, and my first choice was an NS200 spector(950$ canandian)..
    I can play pretty good, and as soon as I can afford it, I will get lessons. But I really want a Fender, because I've heard so much about them..And most of the female bassist use them too.
    So is it better to have a 1000$(canadian) spector or a 400$ (american)fender? The thing is that I have a relative in U.S that can get me one at mars music.
    The fender I really want is a :
    Part Number: 013-6000
    Body: Poplar
    Neck: One-Piece Maple (7.25" radius)
    Machine Heads: Standard
    Fretboard: Rosewood
    No. of Frets: 20
    Pickups: Split-Coil Hum Canceling
    Controls: Volume, Tone
    Bridge: Standard P-Bass
    Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
    Neck Width @ Nut: 1.625" (41 mm)
    Strings: Fender Super Bass 7205

And it's selling for 325$ american.
    I'm not sure if the sound on a fender is better etc..please help!

2. I'll tell you right now, in my opinion, Spector is one of the best out there and i pretty much hate fender, but that's me. If you're strapped for cash, i guess go with the Fender. If you're willing to put out the money, definatly go with spector. That and 20 frets? And i thought having 22 frets was bad. I won't play anything that doesn't have 24. But like i said, that's my opinion and if you don't have the money, then i guess go with the Fender.

3. if it's between those two only, go with the fender, since you're only a beginner and might decide that bass isn't really what you want to do. they have good resale, too. can't you actually try out some basses, though, and see what sounds better to YOU? it's ridiculous to want a fender because most female bassists use them. your gender has nothing to do with the brand of instrument that's best for you.

by the way, does your name mean you like the pixies? they rock.

4. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    one question..do you already own the spector? if so-- keep it. if not, get it. i have the ns2000(4 string) and it is incredible. it blows all other fenders out of the water. it REALLY depends on what you like. the spector and fender have very different sounds , and your ears are the best judge. from what it looks like the frnder you described is a mexican Pbass and that bass (not that a jbass does either) cant even come close to the quality and sound of spector. keep the spector youll be glad you did.

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    pixi, go to a music store and play the basses you're interested in, then decide.

6. The fender youre looking at is mexican model, if you want a fair comparison against the spector, look at the american model, they go for about $800-$900 US. I have never played a spector, but hear good things about them. But I am a fender enthusiest, so I would say get the fender.

7. pixi_melissa

pixi_melissa

Feb 11, 2001
    I already have the spector! And I love it, I went to the music store and asked the guy to play every bass in there and I liked the spector the most. I couldn't get the fender back then because it was 1300$ canadian.

The thing is that now i've decided to go really far with the bass, maybe be in a band soon. I wanted a fender because most of the people in a rock group has a fender ...that's what I meant, so I assumed it was the best for stuido work and stuff.

Well, my mom is in florida now, so I thought the importation would cost less. Buying it in america would cost less than it would cost here in canada. That's what I meant, so I can't go to the music store and see if I like the sound or not. But if the bass I want cost 800 to 900$, that's a lot lol.

Thanks for the info! :D

8. pixi_melissa

pixi_melissa

Feb 11, 2001
    I already bought my spector this summer, I'm planning to get a second one :)

Mine is a 24 fret/5 string.
    I'm planning to purchse the fender for my SECOND bass.
    For the Fender i have about 600$ canadian, so that's about 450$ US I think.

9. pixi_melissa

pixi_melissa

Feb 11, 2001
    The thing I was wondering is should I stick with one bass or go for a second..And when i saw that my spector was 850US and the fender I wanted was 325US, I was wondering if ti was worth to get it. Because i knwo the fender they had at my local music store sounded really great. And I wasn't sure if that was a normal price in US.

When i went for my first bass, I made him play a yamaha, a peavey, a spector and a fender, And I chose the spector to what suited me. I really liked the fender but it was 1300$ lol. I'm not planing to get abass just because another girl does, I've been wanting to play since i was 8, and all my idols have a fender..it's confusing lol.

Yeah, I love the pixies!

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    All the bands in NYC want to die their hair to match their underwear. Do you I should do that?

If you played the Spector & love it, why settle for a P-bass cause everyone else plays one. Speaking from experience both basses are very good. It also depends which Spector NS-2000 you are talking about. there is the NS-2000 B, NS-2000 4, NS-2000 4Q, all of which in my opinion are better than any Fender (American or Mexican made).

11. IMO Fender sucks balls. So there :D

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Of course, pixi_melissa will be playing the bass, not you, cyklone, so your opinion doesn't really matter. does it? And it would be nice if everybody would refrain from the 'Brand X sucks' type of comments.

pixi, you already have a nice bass in the Spector, if you want a Fender, I say go for it. If you wind up finding out that it is not for you, Fenders have great resale value. You can always get back most of what you paid for them.

Good luck, and welcome to Talkbass!:)

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yup, there is no need buying one just because someone else uses one. There is nothing wrong buying certain brand or another(except perhaps Rogue :D ), buy a bass for it's sound and feel, not for it's looks or users.

[Edited by Tsal on 02-11-2001 at 04:53 PM]

14. Noticed I put 'IMO', so don't even start flaming. Embellish somebody else :D

15. if you have a spector and like it, then why get another bass? I have 4, but I only need 2, save for a nice amp or lessons. The MIM fender would seem like a step down, maybe save a little more and get a used MIA fender.

16. I think he brings up a good point. You should save your money and get a good amp and get some lessons. Since you said you have a spector that you like a lot. Though i don't think you should even go for the used MIA Fender, but i guess if you really want to, you could.

17. pixi_melissa

pixi_melissa

Feb 11, 2001
    Thanks for the advice, I might just ask my relative to go look in pawn shops and see if she finds one that's cheap or something. Maybe. Because my spector looks good enough.

I have an ampeg BA-112, and the sound is almost perfect for the spector. When i bought it I tested it with my bass to see the sound quality, so don't worry!

Well I'm proud of myself, I've managed ot practice everyday for an hour since this summer :D

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Don't ever buy a Fender without playing it first. Each one is unique, and some bite while some are great. I like Fenders, but it took about $300 worth of new neck on my American Deluxe to make it playable. I've been much more careful in buying my subsequent Fenders, which are fabulous.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cyklone, I didn't flame anyone.:) If you want to see flaming, try out alt.guitar.bass sometime. They eat people for lunch over there.:eek:

I was just trying to nip all of this 'So and so brand sucks' crap in the bud before others jumped in.

I don't like Warwicks, Moduli or ESPs, but I have never said that they sucked.

I think it is much more valuable to tell somebody considering a bass a good reason for not buying it, such as a bad experience you may have had with a particular bass, instead of saying 'IMHO Fenders suck balls.':rolleyes:

Does that mean that I can say that a certain Talkbass player sucks balls, IMHO, and that makes it OK to call names or make slanderous remarks, because I said IMHO?

:confused:

Just wondering, that's all. :)

20. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

hey pixi_Melissa

I think the most appropriate saying here should be: "Nevermind the Bullocks!"

Fender hype might be high in the sky but everything else about them is pretty much under the ground (for me that is) I can understand someone saying "I want a Fender, I wanted one all my life and when I first played a Fender it was the best bass I ever put my filthy hands on!" but I can't understand why you want a MIM Fender when you have a Spector which you like and which suits you.
    also, you said you play a 5 string/24 frets, will it feel right stepping down to 4 strings and 20 frets?

you should save the cash to either buy a good powerful stack when the time comes or... you said you want a bass for studio working?! save up for the american made neck thru Spector...thats a real studio bass and you already know you love them.

btw, regarding female bassists playing Fenders...I think a female bassist straping the curvy Spector is much more sexy than one straping a slab body bass...but thats just me being kinky and all... ;)