Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between a sterling and stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkdified, Jul 26, 2001.

1. I' thinking of buying a ernieball 4, but don't know wich one. I was wondering if you guys could tell me the difference between the Sterling and Stingray? Also wich one is better for all types of music.
    thanks

2. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I got a brand new stingray for sale mail me at terryandbrad@home.com if you want pictures and info.

The stingray bass has one legendary sounds the "ray" sound. Some people hate it most people love it.

3. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    the sterling trys to be more veratile but just really doesn't have the sound of a "ray"

4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Sterlings have thinner necks and smaller bodys.

5. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    IMO the Stingray has a much more defined and "one-of-a-kind" sound, which makes it my choice between the two. I own a '96 'ray and it NEVER fails to please me :). The Sterling, on the other hand, has more tonal options, but seems to lack the great feel and punch of the Stingray. It's really an issue of personal taste, mine being with the Stingray. Check out this page for some reviews of both to see the opinions of some other Stingray/Sterling users: http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Ernie-Ball/
    Hope this helps :D

-FSR

p.s. for the Stingray reviews, click on "Music Man Stingray Bass" not "Music Man StingRay Bass (2-Band EQ)", there's a difference. :)

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Bassman2000, we have classifieds, you know.

I read in the Music Man website that the Sterling is the 4-string version of the Stingray 5 (Not in name, but in terms of design).

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And that is so true, BW.

To my ears, the Ray 5 does not have the true Stingray sound.

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    The Sterling in design is like the Jazz to the Precision. The Sterling has a smaller body, thinner neck profile and comes stock with the 3 band EQ and 3 position toggle switch. It happens to be the one I favor of the two.

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  9. i like the sterling a little bit better, but really you can't go wrong. these are both superb basses.

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  10. The Strling is way better. Unless you're some fanatic that has to have "That Stingray" sound, the Sterling gets close enough and still gives you more flexibility.

11. The Sterling has a smaller body (as you know) and the headstock is shortened by an inch to balance the weight. The electronics are the same (3 band with volume). The pickup has a phantom coil for noise canceling. And there's a coil switch. (You probably knew all of this.)

The thing that sold me on the Sterling is the switch. You can run the coild in parallel like the StingRay. You can run it like a single coil withe the phantom coil. And, the part that I fell in love with, you can run the coils in series which gives you the definite MusicMan tone with tons more bottom and growl. Awesome bass... Try them both out and see what you like is all.