Difference between Active and Passive Inputs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Jul 13, 2002.

1. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    I was just wondering what the difference between active and passive inputs on amps are.

I have a Behringer BX600 and it goes alot louder when i'm going through the passive input, why is this.

And is there any danger to the amp if i have it maxed out playing hard in either input?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The active input is "padded", meaning that it has less gain to accommodate active basses with higher output.
    They also usually have different impedance, but it's mostly high enough so you can plug in either input.
    Passive inputs have higher impedance, since its impedance should be 10-times higher than the impedance of the incoming signal. This avoids loss of highs due to impedance mismatch.
  3. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    An active input generally has -10 db the volume of the passive one (meaning it's half as loud.)

If you plug an active bass into the passive input and play loud, you'll probably clip the preamp, causing distortion. This doesn't hurt the amp unless you do it constantly, but it usually sounds terrible. Unless you're too quiet, use the active jack.
  4. I`ve often wondered about this also...

I don`t have a seperate "active" input but I do have
    an "active" button which engages both a "gain" and a "shape" pot.I guess this serves the same purpose as a dedicated "active" input(i.e. padded).

I have heard members here that endorse playing their active basses through the passive input/mode.
    I guess whatever sound the best and does`nt harm the gear,eh? :D