Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between ALPINE White & OLYMPIC White?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassin' 'Round, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    O.K., so Vintage White is an off-white/even light yellowish color. But how about ALPINE & OLYMPIC? If 2 people were looking at the same bass, might one call it Alpine & the other call it Olympic? The Warmoth site shows Alpine as a whiter white & Olympic as a white with just maybe a hint of blue.

I'm looking for the more white-white/milky-white color. Is it Alpine or Olympic? Any help appreciated. Thanks. ;)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I will admit that Warmoth's versions of Alpine vs. Olympic threw me off a bit as well. I will be interested to hear what other people have to say.

3. +1
    i've always loved white basses but never knew the difference between some of the finished that look exactly the same.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Judging by warmoth, alpine is very clean , very pure white. Olympic is a little offwhite.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1

6. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    hah Reminds me of that commercial where the kindergarten teacher asks her class, "What color are my teeth?" The class answers: Off-white, tan, mother of pearl, etc... heheheh

I always thought alpine what is like crazy white, like just bleached white laundry. Olympic white is like an aged white, off-white basically.

7. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Anyone have a pic of an Alpine white bass that they're sure is Alpine white? Or a pic of an Olympic white bass that they're sure is Olympic?:p

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    The warmoth site is pretty close, in my opinion. The olympic is off-white, and the alpine is tooth paste white.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Arctic White
    [​IMG]
    Olympic White
    [​IMG]
    Kind of the opposite of what I thought they were. When I think Arctic White, I think bright snow white but Fender must have sampled the Arctic snow after the huskies had been there.:p
    I always thought my bass was Olympic white. I guess not?
    [​IMG]

10. Yeah. Alpine white's about as white as white can be. Olympic white's a bit less white.

White count: Six, including the word white on this line (and seven including the one I just said).

Alpine white is my favourite. It also annoys me to DEATH knowing that Fender doesn't make any of their basses in that colour (I think Epiphone does though. But I'm not too big into their guitars). It also sucks because if I want one that colour I have to drop $200 to get it painted (I've dreamt about an Alpine white RIC. One day...).

11. :confused: CB56!!

That's very strange! My Jazz is Olympic White yet its far closer to the colour of the Arctic white you have there.

What gives?

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, this. Early next week I'll have photos of my new Olympic white Sadowsky 5-24 which, of course, doesn't exist yet, but is now finished.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fenders definition seems backwards.

14. I'm sure it is. My Jazz is Fender and it is clearly stated to be Olympic White, which is like the first picture in CB's post. Sort of an off-white. W/ tort pg = v sexy!!!:hyper:

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I didn't take the picture of my bass. A previous owner did. I do know that if you take a photo with tungsten light present(a regular lightbulb as opposed to daylight) that white will look yellowish. But Fender clearly is showing the arctic White as having some Yellow in it. Strange. I agree that it seems backwards.
    Let us see some pix of your new bass when you get it munji.

16. i think theres no answer to this question because those two comparisons we saw were oppisite of wht we were thinking i think if u want white white it matters on the company and bass

17. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I've got an Olympic White Sadowsky Metro due in a day or two. I'll post pics in a new thread next week. For some reason, there's been a dearth of "Sadowsky" threads around here for quite some time, and I intend to do something about it!

:D

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would like to point out, cb56, that your particular bass is my idea of perfection. The exact configuration I would like to have someday.

19. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    That's the Metro I'm waitin' on, the only difference is mine's a four-banger. Pics coming soon!

:hyper:

20. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, that's a great looking bass alright.

I'm talking to Nino about a 4- string chambered swamp ash jazz & I'm thinking more & more that it's going to be white. Since the body will be from Warmoth, I guess it'll be Alpine white. Chrome hardware (including pickup cover), 2 Darkstars (oh yeah!), tort guard, & a bloodwood board:hyper: . Think I just talked myself into it.:D