Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

difference between amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wildchild13, Jan 26, 2005.

1. wildchild13

wildchild13

Jan 23, 2005
    hey everyone, i'm new to the world of bass guitar and have a couple questions. i currently own a regualr solid electric guitar and a 10 watt amp (crummy, i know) i recently purchased a bass guitar and plan on investing in a new amp, so i'm asking if there is any difference between the amp i use for my electric guitar and a "bass" amp? or can you just buy one amp and use it for both types of guitar? thanx :bassist:

2. uh....you wanna blow out your 10 watt, plug in your bass. basses are meant to have their own amps because they have their own sonic limitations, IE, a guitar amp for example, would not handle the lows of the E string on a bass, because guitar amps cannot handle the 42 hz frequency of the pitch of the string (and if so, certainly not for long, and probably won't sound good). bass amps, can handle guitars, but vice verse, guitar wont' sound as good through the amp, because the amp has a range of frequencies specified for bass

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Not exactly. Yes, there are differences, but there are also some bass cabs which can do a pretty decent job with guitar. I have an old Traynor 6x10 bass cab which we've used for lead in a pinch, and I've heard of some others which can "go both ways". ;)

I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions...

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    guitar preamps CAN be voiced differently than bass preamps, but that's no biggie
    there are 2 considerations

one, many guitar spaekers don't do a good job when it comes to bass. a lot of them tend to get blown when you use a bass with them,

second, as a bass player you generally need 4 to 10 times the wattage of a guitar player to effectively compete with them. as bass players we can get away with an OK bass, but you really need a good amp, especially when it comes to watts and the efficiency of the speakers. a guitar player can do darn good with a 25 watt amp, but not us.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

typical crossover is bass/keyboard/steel guitar. Some guitarists play through bass rigs to fatten up tone, the reverse is definetly an exception. To play both through the same amp I'd personally buy a bass amp.

You can trash a guitar amp running bass through it though some will take it. There are a number of amps available in a guitar and bass version. Just as bass and guitar don't fulfill the same functions in a band, the related equipment is designed accordingly.