1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

difference between amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wildchild13, Jan 26, 2005.

1. wildchild13

wildchild13

Jan 23, 2005
    hey everyone, i'm new to the world of <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=bass%20guitar" onmouseover="window.status='bass guitar'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">bass guitar</a> and have a couple questions. i currently own a regualr solid <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=electric%20guitar" onmouseover="window.status='electric guitar'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">electric guitar</a> and a 10 watt amp (crummy, i know) i recently purchased a bass <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=guitar" onmouseover="window.status='guitar'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">guitar</a> and plan on investing in a new amp, so i'm asking if there is any difference between the amp i use for my electric guitar and a "bass" amp? or can you just buy one amp and use it for both types of guitar? thanx :bassist:

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Playing guitar through a bass amp is fine, but playing a bass through a guitar amp at any volume over say... your normal speaking volume is a big no, no. The speakers in guitar amps just can handle the lows a bass puts out. If you're on a tight budget, i'll suggest the Peavey Minx. A nice little 'cheap' amp. I'm sure you'll get many more knowledgeable answers than mine here.

3. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Hi! Yes there is a HUGE difference.... I won't even get into it...

Generally speaking though, a bass amp needs more wattage in order to produce the lower bass tones... Also, since your guitar amp is made to produce the higher tones of a guitar, you could easily damage it by playing your bass through it... There are hundreds of decent entry-level bass amps out there... get one!

Oh, and welcome to the board, you can learn a lot from the folks here... Don't get distracted by all of the technical jargon though... :smug:

4. Mr. Moderator please help this young person....I'm new here also and "old" :) but follow the rules(so far). Maybe you need a forum for people under 15 years of age where they can help each other.......no offense but I'm see'ing alot of these kind of posts every day! Maybe a new forum for "What is a Bass Guitar" would be helpful :) No offense to anyone here personally and I know ya gota start somewhere but ...Jeeeeze....

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I see where you're coming from Highpines, but I don't think the original question was that ridiculous. I mean, that's what we're all here for, right? To help "newcomers" and "oldtimers" alike. I remember when I didn't know what 'fret-buzz' meant, now it's seems like it's common sense :) .