Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

difference between amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wildchild13, Jan 26, 2005.

1. wildchild13

wildchild13

Jan 23, 2005
    hey everyone, i'm new to the world of <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=bass%20guitar" onmouseover="window.status='bass guitar'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">bass guitar</a> and have a couple questions. i currently own a regualr solid <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=electric%20guitar" onmouseover="window.status='electric guitar'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">electric guitar</a> and a 10 watt amp (crummy, i know) i recently purchased a bass <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=guitar" onmouseover="window.status='guitar'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">guitar</a> and plan on investing in a new amp, so i'm asking if there is any difference between the amp i use for my electric guitar and a "bass" amp? or can you just buy one amp and use it for both types of guitar? thanx :bassist:

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Playing guitar through a bass amp is fine, but playing a bass through a guitar amp at any volume over say... your normal speaking volume is a big no, no. The speakers in guitar amps just can handle the lows a bass puts out. If you're on a tight budget, i'll suggest the Peavey Minx. A nice little 'cheap' amp. I'm sure you'll get many more knowledgeable answers than mine here.

3. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Hi! Yes there is a HUGE difference.... I won't even get into it...

Generally speaking though, a bass amp needs more wattage in order to produce the lower bass tones... Also, since your guitar amp is made to produce the higher tones of a guitar, you could easily damage it by playing your bass through it... There are hundreds of decent entry-level bass amps out there... get one!

Oh, and welcome to the board, you can learn a lot from the folks here... Don't get distracted by all of the technical jargon though... :smug:

4. Mr. Moderator please help this young person....I'm new here also and "old" :) but follow the rules(so far). Maybe you need a forum for people under 15 years of age where they can help each other.......no offense but I'm see'ing alot of these kind of posts every day! Maybe a new forum for "What is a Bass Guitar" would be helpful :) No offense to anyone here personally and I know ya gota start somewhere but ...Jeeeeze....

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I see where you're coming from Highpines, but I don't think the original question was that ridiculous. I mean, that's what we're all here for, right? To help "newcomers" and "oldtimers" alike. I remember when I didn't know what 'fret-buzz' meant, now it's seems like it's common sense :) .