1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

difference between bass & git valve amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by martinedwards, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Hi folks,

I currently play my bass through a Keyboard amp which handles the ottom end OK, and I THOUGHT was fine until I played through a pal's trace combo.....

oh dear......

now I need to spend money!!

so....

I MAINLY play guitar, and occasionally bass.

My git I run throught FX and Di it to the PA......

If I were to buy or build a Valve Head, how much difference is there between the schematics for a bass & git amp?

ta!!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not much. Maybe they voice the tone controls differently. A lot of bass amps have been used as guitar amps and vice versa.

3. very little difference. bass amps wont have as many effects usually. guitar amps dont need as much headroom.

if you were to make an amp to run bass or guitar, i'd give it atleast 50w, depending on your volume needs, how sensitive your cab(s) are and wether you want a completely clean sound, or if your going for a dirtier sound. make sure you get decent transformers, as theoutput will dictate how much bass passes through cleanly, and underspeced power trannies can create a bit of sag at high volumes. id use large valued filter caps so that the amp sounds nice and punchy.

this platform is also a good powersection for a high gain preamp, if your into that. could do a high gain preamp, and a separate channel for bass/clean. the clean channel should be great for pedals too.

i am going to make a 100ish w valve amp using 4 el34's. i plan on putting a switch to switch off one pair of the el34's so i can get rid of some headroom. im thinking of doing something similar to a hiwatt in terms of the tone stack and order of the stages, as everyone knows hiwatts were killer for bass, and i love john wettons sound with king crimson. also considering an amp similar to a tweed bassman/early marshall.