1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Difference between classical and jazz/rock?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by redgress17, Jan 18, 2012.

1. redgress17

redgress17

Sep 27, 2009
    I'm not sure if I've just been having the wrong impression, because as classically trained double bassist, I didn't start thinking about music theory until recently. I feel like playing the 4th and 5th chord tone is a lot more common in classical music, and playing the 3rds and 5ths are more common jazz/rock.

Is this a true statement, for the most part?

I am new to chord analysis so I might be totally wrong... help mehaha

2. What I see in Pop, Rock and Country is roots, fives, and eights as the safe go to bass lines. Need more then the 3's and 7's come into the picture. I never go above the 7's. Leaving the higher notes to the solo instruments.

R-3-5-3 is one of my safe generic bass lines for major chords. I also like R-3-5-6 for major chords.

But, roots and root-fives with chromatic runs to the next chord is my bread and butter. I very seldom play any minor chords as the music I play is 99% major key, dirt simple, I IV V chord progression.

3. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    You may still need a bit of clarity ....in most music, classical included, when you go to the 4th you are probably rooting a new chord.

4ths, within chords, usually only exist in jazz styles where quartal harmony is used or as an upper extension ie: 11th

and of course suspended chords in pop music etc.

Here's your basic chord types and breakdown:

Major = 1, 3, 5

Minor = 1, b3, 5

7th or dominant = 1, 3, 5, b7

Diminished = 1, b3, b5, bb7

Augmented = 1, 3, #5

half diminished = 1, b3, b5, b7

4. redgress17

redgress17

Sep 27, 2009

ok. so in most types of music, the 4th is most likely a part of a new chord?

5. Not always, but think of the typical chord cadence in "pure" classical music, like Mozart or Haydn (the ||: and :|| are "repeats):

||: I - IV - I - V :||

If you visualize this as chord modulations (assuming key of C):

||: C - F - C - G :||

Of course, the 4 could also be a suspension (Csus4 as an example), which typically resolves down a minor second, returning you to the root triad.

Once you get into later (romantic-era and eventually 20th century avant garde, 12-tone, chromatic, etc...), all this goes out the window :)

6. The way I understand it. In a bass line the 2 and 4 are best used as passing notes. OK to use just keep them passing.

Here is a little something I live by:

Generic notes for your bass line.
    • The root, five and eight are generic and fit most any chord. Remember the diminished has a flatted 5.
    • The 3 is generic to all major chords.
    • The b3 is generic to all minor chords.
    • The 7 is generic to all maj7 chords.
    • The b7 is generic to all dominant seventh and minor seventh chords.
    • The 6 is neutral and adds color, help yourself to 6’s.
    • The 2 and 4 make good passing notes. Don’t linger on them or stop on them, keep them passing.
    • In making your bass line help yourself to those notes, just use them correctly.
    • Roots, fives, eights and the correct 3 and 7 will play a lot of bass.

7. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Sig'd :bassist: