1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference between Duncan Antiquity and Antiquity II?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LeeWTurner, Oct 21, 2009.

1. LeeWTurner

LeeWTurner Banned

Oct 16, 2009
    What is the difference between these 2 sets of Jazz pick ups?

Thanks

2. oli

oli

Nov 28, 2005
    Thats what I want to know too. Are there any sound samples (especially from the Antiquity I)?

3. Bump

4. dinsdal3

dinsdal3

Apr 10, 2009
    Tucson, Arizona
    dont quote me but im pretty sure for the p-bass version, the antiquity is a vintage 50s sound, and antiquity 2 is a 60's sound. im assuming it would be the same for jazz.

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    From Seymour Duncan's website...

First, from the FAQ.
    "Resonant Peak - The frequency at which the impedance of a pickup is at its highest. Within a given category of pickups. a higher resonant peak usually indicates a brighter, clearer sound."

Then, when you compare the specs on the Antiquity and the Antiquity II Precision pickups, you see that electronically the only spec that differs is the resonant peak (labeled as "Q" in the specs). The DC resistance and the inductance are the same for both PUPs. The resonant peak is 3.54 for the Antiquity and 2.43 for the Antiquity II. Based on that and the description in the FAQ section, the Antiquity would most likely be a bit brighter than the relatively darker Antiquity II.

John

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's interesting. They must be using heavy build insulation on the brighter pickup. That can be the only difference if they are both the same DC resistance (number of turns) and inductance (also due to the magnets).

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the difference is alnico 2 vs 5. both are plain enamel and lacquer potted. you can forget about the published specs. ive owned countless sets of antiquity jazz pickups. they wind them ALL different. no two sets are the same. you might get some pickups that read at barely 8k or barely under 9k.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    OK, so they are different magnets after all. I assumed they were both Alnico 5. :) I'm surprised that didn't change the inductance though.