Difference between EBMM Ray, Sterling, SUB Active, SUB Passive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jammadave, Oct 23, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Okay, so i'm going to head down to GC to check on one thing: Would a 34" scale bass suit me better than my 35" basses? I've still got return time on the Schecter so it couldn't hurt to look. And I'd better decide before I take the plunge and buy a *really* pricey bass.

What are the "player's differences" between the EBMM Ray/Sterling/SUB models, and then between the active and passive SUBs? I've played plenty of instruments with both kinds of pickups, but dont remember any compelling reason to buy one over another besides maybe batteries.

And yeah, I know the EBMMs are a more traditional shape which I don't *love* - but they aint bad, and I caint afford no Bongo ;)

Thanks in advance - still need this amp fixed too =0(
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its all up to your personal preference.

I can't speak for a SUB, since I've never played one. However, for their price you can easily get a used/excellent condition Stingray off of Ebay, and still have great resale value.

Sterlings don't *quite* have the traditional Stingray tone, but darned close. The Sterling is a good choice if you like its looks, its smaller body, and slightly thinner neck. It has different electronics, modeled after the Stingray 5's preamp and setup.

The traditional "Stingray" has different electronics than the Sterling, a bigger body and differently shaped neck.

Give them each a test run, and decide for yourself.