1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference between Epiphone Thunderbird Std and Gothic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steph0574, Nov 16, 2006.

1. steph0574

steph0574

Nov 15, 2006
    Apart from the look, what's the difference between a standard Epiphone Thunderbird and an Thunderbird Gothic? Do they have the same hardware? I can't find the specs on Epi's website.

Thank you!

2. The standard one has a maple body and neck. The gothic has a mahogany body and neck which is more in keeping with the original (albeit bolt on instead of multi laminate neck through) and it also has better pickups. I think all of the gothic range of basses and guitars have mahogany bodies and necks.

i had a gothic one and I loved the growl that you got from it - so much so that the main bass I use now, the Ibanez SR1006 also has a mahogany body.

I had to sell it because I couldn't handle the neck dive - I tried moving the strap button many times and got a thick neoprene non slip strap but it didn't stop it enough. That was probably one of the best basses I've had. neck like a pencil.

i even thought about getting a more balanced mahogany body made and transferring the neck and hardware over.

AFAIK only the pickups are different - the regular one has "TB" ones and the gothic has "TB plus" ones. Not sure what the difference in spec is.

3. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Provo, UT
    Epi claimed the gothic had a mahogany body and a maple neck. The regular production Epi birds have an alder body and maple neck.

4. I played the gothic & standard Epi tbirds back to back... and the gothic was a much better sounding bass. I attribute this to the bodies being of different woods. the Gothic was much deeper, woodier -- all in all, just a better tone.