Difference between Fat and Hi Beams?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davidoc, Nov 26, 2003.

1. I've been a DR Hi-beams lover for a while. I love the bright attack and angry sound that goes perfectly with my musicman.

I thought I'd give fatbeams a try. They sound just like Hi-beams. When I put them on, my sound improved alot, but only because the strings were new-this happens whenever I get a new set of strings. The basic sound though, is exactly the same as with Hi-beams.

Does anyone else notice that these strings are pretty much the same thing, but the Fat beams say "Marcus Miller" on the box, and cost $2 more?
  2. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    There was some talk about this here. The basic difference is in the winding process that produces more mids and bottom.

3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I also use both and agree that the Fats seem to have a bit more "oomph" in the low register. The Hi's seem to have a little more "snarl," however. It's a pretty subtle difference, in any case. They're both killer strings!
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Low Riders or Fat Beams will make your lows and mids a little more aggressive and still retain the highs.
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Are the Fat Beams the ones that are supposed to have the lower string tension because of the core type, or is it the winding process that makes them lighter in tension? At any rate, I may give the Fats a try if they have the round core and are lighter in tension that their other strings.
  6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    What about the sunbeams?
  7. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    That sounds like Low Riders with the Hex core
  8. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Those are nickel strings.
  9. Though Fat-beams are roundcore, I think it's their tightest strings (haven't tried Sunbeams, but they should have the tension). I don't know about tension, but Fat-beams feel tighter than Lo-Riders. Personally I think the Hi-Beams has the perfect tension. Very bendable and very responsive to various playingstyles. Miss a little thump a times though.