Difference between Fender & SD

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by punchybass, Jul 2, 2004.

1. I recently purchased a 1980 Fender P-bass. It has all of the original parts, but I replaced the bridge with a BadAssII. My question is, how different will my bass sound with a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 (vintage) compared to the original 1980 Fender p/up (don't ask me what it is).

BTW, I play with Rotosound Jazz Flats. Any replies will be greatly appreciated!!!!
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Not much response here so here goes FWIW:

Haven't had the vintage P's but personally was not impressed with the vintage J's and so would not likely pick up a set of P's - unless I got them for a song. Can't remember exactly why but I do remember they didn't strike me as having a vintage tone played through my stuff. But lots of people like them, and I might through their setup. All else equal, pup sound in the end comes down to personal preference. Best shot is to pick up some used and try them then you'r not out much if you prefer the originals.

Out of curiosity I just went back and read my own thread. The vintage J's were decent through an NTMB preamp but not passivley. The preamp probably explains the absence of vintage tone and why I didn't recall being impressed as I'm not a real preamp fan. Nevertheless, you might read through that (Dimento's J experiment) and see if you can find something you can relate to cause I'm guessing the P's should parallel the J's with some consistency.
  3. I think you'll find the Duncan you talk about will sound very much like the stock pickup. I have a Fender "Original 62" in my P-Bass clone and I love it. I have Duncan vintage J pickups in my Hamer 2TEK CruiseBass and I think they sound remarkably close to the sound of old Jazz Bass pickups