Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

difference between Fender Standard and American series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ezdrul, Sep 2, 2002.

1. ezdrul

ezdrul

Mar 31, 2002
    Hi there,

i'm looking into buying a Jazz Bass, what are the differences between the Standard series and the American?
    The standard is considerably cheaper than the american, does that have a particular reason, and does it have much influence on the overall sound and craftsmanship?

Thanks a lot for the info..

-e-

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Here goes:
    The standard Jazz Bass is MIM, meaning Made In Mexico. But the American series is MIA, Made in America.

Anyway, the difference in price comes from better materials in the MIA bass. Better woods, graphite reinforced neck, better bridge, better tuners and in my opinion, better craftmanship.

The MIM basses are generally not up to par with the MIA. But you can still find MIM basses that are better then some MIA basses. I would recommend that you go to a music store and try them out.
    IMHO the MIA is a much better bass than MIM. I´ve tried both and I could both feel and hear the difference.

I ended up buying MIA Fender Jazz V. You can see pics in my signature here below. For me the difference was enough to pay more for the MIA.

You can also to a search here in basses with these keywords: MIA MIM. You should get plenty of information there.

3. ezdrul

ezdrul

Mar 31, 2002
    thanks for the reply man,

are you absolutely sure that the standard series are all MIM? i''ve read some posts talking about MIA standards....

-e-

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The "Standard" series is MIM.

The "American Standard" series is MIA.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think they've dropped the word "standard" from the MIAs. They're just american P or J.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    That is correct!

7. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    A HUGE difference is that the MIA are stringed thru body ....

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Doh! Forgot about that one :eek:

Thanks for the correction! :)

9. ezdrul

ezdrul

Mar 31, 2002
    thanks a lot for the help guys,

the basses probably also have a "made in USA"or "made in mexico" stamp on them right?

i'm currently living in brazil and want to make sure I'm buying the right Bass for the right price, otherwise someone's gonna end up trying to sell me a MIM as a MIA...

-e-

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    In any case, they used to be more different than they are nowadays. MIMs used to be poplar-bodied, my MIM doesn't even have the classic metal control plate by the pickguard (it's all plastic), the pickups were of the same size (making the strings not line up properly over the pole pieces)... Slowly but steadily they have approached the MIA quality in terms of materials and workmanship (I'd like to think so anyway judging from the newer ones I played in stores). I think that they have come that close, that I'd never even consider a MIA, costing three times as much as a MIM. To me, they are not three times the bass. (Not that the price/performance ratio is linear, but you catch my drift)

Blah blah. Do the new MIM's still have the ugly top routing that prevents you from playing it sans pickguard?

11. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    A couple of the differences between the new American Series (ASe) and American Standard are non-veneered bodies on all finishes and rolled fingerboard edges.

BTW, next time a person is at a public urinal, read what is says. Most say American Standard. Perhaps that helped sway Fender to change the name.
    :D

12. a couple of years ago i rented a pair of mexi-fenders for a recording session, one was a strat, the other a jazz-bass. They were both 'adequate' in terms of sound and playability, and both had noticeably poor maple in the necks... by 'poor', i mean very white, very plain, (except for knots and flaws) visually not appealing at all. Almost looked like basswood!

other than that, i didnt notice a huge difference, but then again, i only used them for a couple of hours in strictly utilitarian fashion...

MUST..... FINISH.... TRACKING!