Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference Between Fenders...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    hey all, if this has already been posted, i'm sorry. My comp is out of wack at the moments and searches take about 10 minutes.

What is the difference between Fender Basses? Example:
    Standard, Highway 1, American etc etc...

2. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    Standard - made in Mexico.Many different Jazz variations, just one precision. Cheapest. Great basses.

Highway One - Basically the same as standard except made in America. Not as good or expensive as American Series basses.

American series - Expensive, more attention to detail. Precisions can have the S-1 switch.

Deluxe Series - Feature the Zone and Dimension basses as well as Jazz and Precision. Active. Many are combinations of J and P.

Classic Series - Remodels of basses of a certain era such as 60s Jazz bass. All specs will be the same.

Artist Series - THe Jaco bass, Mark Hoppus Bass,Mike Dirnt ect.

Time Machine Series - Copies of relics that are aged.

There are more but I'm tired and can't think.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    good job boy.good job

4. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    American series have the deluxe tuners, better bridge, string thru body (also some artist models), better pickups, etcc

5. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    [​IMG]

It should be mentioned that the Highway One ROCKS and comes in this beautiful Daphne Blue.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I will freely admit that the HWY 1 Basses leave something to be desired when it comes to quality control. Having said that, I will also say that a good one (you have to pick and choose) is a good bass. IMO the neck profile on the HWY 1 Jazz is one of the best Fender has done in a long time. Wouldn't bother me at all to own one.

7. Theres also the aerodyne, which is a P/J pickup setup on a modified J body

made in japan, quality is almost as good as an american but a hell of alot cheaper

8. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    Why, thank you!

And yes dphne blue comes in Highway Ones and is a class colour. I'd love a Mark Hoppus In it or pink.

9. What does the string-thru body do for the sound?

10. +1 I love Daphne -- I mean Daphne Blue.

[​IMG]

11. I'm not sure it does anything for the sound but it is a stronger way to
    secure the strings to the body. There is less stress on the bridge screws.

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Holy Old Thread.

Now everyone's gonna think I'm an idiot for being a Mod and not knowing the difference between Fenders.

13. bassrique

bassrique

Nov 27, 2007
    Florida
    I thought the s-1 was done away with? [And why would a s-1 on a P make sense anyway?]

Zone and Dimension basses are still in production?

14. bassrique

bassrique

Nov 27, 2007
    Florida
    That explains it.

15. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I'd say that makes you perfectly qualified for the job :). Mods all play green, 7 string, Läkdowskys, don't they :p?

;) Please don't ban me, it was a joke.

16. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Good point. My '06 Highway One P has a more comfortable neck than any of my other (or previous) MIA Fenders. Maybe it's hit or miss, but I definitely got a good one.

17. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, it's funny. When I first saw your original post (tonight), I didn't notice the date on it. I thought you were just playing games to try to start arguments! ;)

18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Oh, this is funny. I didn't see the date at first myself and I was thinking, ***?