Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between Fishman blender and PMB II

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flatback, Jul 23, 2004.

1. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I have my PUTW pup and a ATM 35 mic now going into an old Fishman blender and straight into a Mackie 450. The Idea behind the Fishman blender is so seductive, a half rack box on a small stand going into a powered speaker, with a mic and a mute switch and balanced outs. It is close to the quiet small micro rig I have always wanted. But the Gain ain't what it could be (no real headroom) and the color of the preamp is far from flat. But The PUTW makes up the difference for the moment and the mic picks up the air...
    My question (since I have only heard about the PMBII) is if its preamp is flat, if it has more gain then the Fishman and if there are any draw backs. Ideally I would like to show up to a gig with a PMB and a Pub 280, and have enough clear and clean headroom to manage anything. The PUTW pup sounds lame thru anything tube, it needs S.S. and just a touch of EQ for various rooms. The mic thru the Fishman sounds only a bit like it should (and does thru better rigs)
    Anyone care to comment?

2. schneidy

schneidy

Feb 24, 2004
    I havbe never used the Fishman, but I love my PMB II and find it to have an extremely flat and even response. I think one of the improvements of the PMB II over the original model is increased gain, but again I have no way of comparing that to the Fishman blender.

I also find the EQ to be quite usable in that I have to roll off a considerable amount of lows when I use a Realist on my bass and I still get a fairly "natural" pickup tone.

My ownly complaint about the PMB two is that if you are using it with batteries you really need to remove them in between performances. I find that the power switch turns on very easily in my gig back if knocked. It's not a big deal but a small gripe nonetheless.

3. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Hi,
    I have owned a Fishman Pocket blender and now have a Raven Labs PMB I . Function wise the two units are quite similar, but the PMB are superior to the Fishman unit in all aspects.
    I do not see the problem with the headroom when going in to the SRM 450, if my memory is correct you can adjust the input gain from LINE level to Microphone Level. Why not just adjust the level to give you the wanted headroom? I am pretty sure that if you feed the SRM 450 from the XLR output or LINE outpunt of the Blender and trim the input gain towards microphone level, you will have enough headroom in most cases.

regards Oystein