Difference between GK 1001 RB and 1001 RB II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Axtman, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    What is the difference between the Gallien Krueger 1001 RB model and the newer 1001 RBII models? :confused:

2. TonyRockyHorror

TonyRockyHorror

Nov 25, 2009
    Wasn't the 1001rb only 540w at 4ohms? The rbII is 700w at 4 ohms. I'm pretty sure. Not 100%

Mike A likes this.
  3. ialma

ialma

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    anyone ?

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The II series had some circuit redesigns, although I don't know exactly what, that were to address wome reliability issue as well as up the power. I don't know the specifics, just that some of the old ones went up in smoke. I would assume one that is around and working today wouldn't be a problem amp of it's lasted this long. The series 2's are some of the most reliable things out there. That would be the 1001RB II and the 700RB II.

Actually, I think the first runs were the 1000RB, later changed to the 1001.

The 700RB kept the same model number and just added the "II" to it.

GGman likes this.
  5. GGman

GGman

Oct 17, 2008
    Thank you. Exactly what I needed to know before I buy a GK used amp head.

6. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Not much, in terms of tone. I owned both a first generation 1001rb and a 1001rb-II for a while until I decided to let the older one go after it'd performed flawlessly for me for over a decade. Just didn't need both.

7. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I think the "slight redesign and more power" is correct. You could ask this in the GK mega thread and hit more people who might know.
    If you want/like a grittier tone, the 700 might be a better choice...the 1001 stays cleaner longer because more headroom, which is my preference. Either can be crazy loud.

Mike A likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021