1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference between GK 150's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arnold, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Arnold

Arnold Supporting Member

Howdy,
    Can anybody tell me the difference between the GK 150E and 150S?
    Chorus and boost.......anything else and is it worth an extra 150 bucks?
    Thanks.
    Arnold

2. Are you looking for a new one or a used one? You can get the owner's manual for the new models from Gallien Krueger's web site. Here's the link to the older models' manual if you are going for a used model.

http://www.bassemporium.com/pdfs/gkmicrobass.pdf

Yes.

3. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    the EQ!

also, the preamp voicing is said to be different. chrous is worth nothing. boost is okay.

4. 3apa3a

3apa3a

Nov 13, 2006
    Moscow
    Boost is what the "G-K sound" is all about to me. Makes big difference between them. Also the D.I. is useful.

5. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    right about the boost. less important in the combos, though. they distort from 12 o clock anyway.

6. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Yeah , the combos never been enough for me , even at rehearsals with acoustic piano trio.
    They seem moore like practice amps to me , or for very small gigs with PA.

7. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    right, way overrated, almost religiously.

more perceived loudness with double bass, though.

8. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Yeah , well ive mostly used it with DB to , but also BG.
    But it doesnt sound that good , and the distorton is a big problem.
    But the reasont for its great succes is that it was one of the first small lightweight combos with good specs , and relatively loud. Ive seen bassplayers coming of the plane with their GK's in travel bags. So for the giging musiscan , they where pretty revolutionary. Though today , with AI combos and other small combos , they dont play in a very high league.

9. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    they still excell in portabilty. i got mine used for 400 euros and for 400 euros you cannot get anything else that goes in bag over you shoulder, going to a session by bicycle. at least not anything with a serios poweramp and acceptable volume. most other small combos are too bulky and awkward to carry.

so i put in on ear level, add some mids, have a few beer and there we go...

10. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Yeah , your right ..
    The ones ive tried just did not do it for me .
    But are their any big differences between the older models and the newer ?

11. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    the older poweramps get hotter. the older have cabs made from more pieces of alloy.

12. Per the comments above, these combo's have always seemed very honestly rated to me.... for a bass amp the size of a US Telephone book, IMO and IME they get quite loud for their size and rated power of around 100 watts into the 8 ohm speaker. Of course, due to the size (and sealed speaker cab design), they don't put out a lot of low end, and with no tweeter, they are quite 'midrange sounding', which is a positive for the DB players who use them.

One mistake that 150 users make is engaging the limiter, which does not act like a typical limiter, but seems to actually reduce the total output of the amp... leave that circuit off.

+1 to the boost control.. very nice, and if you are using the amp as it was designed, for small gigs where you don't need tons of volume or low end, it adds a nice bit of growl, warmth and grit. That, and the semi-parametric EQ, seem worth the additional dollars to me to get the higher end model.

If ultimate portability is your goal, and the 'tone in your head' is a mid oriented sound without a lot of low end extension or treble sizzle, these combo's are pretty cool!

13. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    within their volume range, they are cool indeed. i added a tiny little piezo tweeter box (fist size), which adds the sparkle that you want for slap and the like. 10 bucks...

also, it has to be said that again within the volume limits it inevitably has, it handles a b string quite well! not earth shaking, but quite good for the size and better than any practice/small amp i know of.

i use the parametric EQ alot, mainly to fight the insane pre-preamp voicing...i couldn't stand it without.

also, the boost is post effects, so if you plug some source into the effects return, you can use the boost if that signal is too weak. i sometimes use the return to bypass the preamp voicing.

14. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    +1 Ken ,
    The limiter is very strange , it cuts like half the volume , it seem to limit the output , not the input level.

15. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I have an MBE and with my electrics it was breaking up until I started using the -10db. I turn the master all the way up and just use a little of the input volume. I usually don't use this amp on gigs playing rock or r&b with a drummer but have used it with six piece band rehearsals successfully.

Wally

16. appler

appler Guest

It might be worth your while to look for the older 200MB model. I've played both the MB150S and the 200MB on various-sized gigs (double bass though) and preferred the sound of the 200MB. It also feels a little more solid. For example, the handle on the 200MB feels really sturdy compared to the rubbery MB150's, which felt like it might rip after a few years. The chorus on the 200MB is not useful in a group setting but is fun to play with at home. I can't seem to find a use for the limiter either.

17. Arnold

Arnold Supporting Member

Thank you all for the reply's>
    Peace.
    Arnold

18. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The chorus is useless but, the dual di is great as well as the stereo input in the E models. As KJung stated, these are honestly rated and the lack of a tweeter and small box does limit it in some ways. However, it does excel at small gigs and DB. I have mine and this is the second one I have owned. If you use it for what it is designed for (not loud Rock or R&B gigs) it is a great amp

19. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I did forget to add that my 1/2 size Kay sounds great through it. I have Rick Turner's UB1 pickups and go direct into the GK with no other preamp.

Wally