1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Difference between Graph Tech and Tusq

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Linas, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Its time for a new nut and i know that both the trem nut and Tusq nuts from graph tech have advantages over bone. But what are the differences between each of these and which should i be getting for my fretless jazz bass?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Personally I think graphlon does the job so well for fretless bass that I think of Tusq as a superior product for those who think ivory still rules ; }

3. The trem-nut is a self lubricating nut designed to play nice with tremolo equipped instruments. Any binding at the nut would cause tuning problems. The Tusq material is a synthetic bone and is more suitable as a replacement for stock plastic and micarta nuts. It is pretty easy to work espscially compared to cow bone, and it is still durable.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    A lot of non-trem instruments use graphlon, and have for ages. And there isn't any downside that I can see.

5. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Tusq is supposed to be like bone but more evenly dense. I personally prefer a good bone nut. Graphtech is self lubricating. It mellowed the tone some on a guitar I had, not sure what it would do to a bass.

6. I'm a huge fan of the GraphTech saddles- I replaced all the saddles on all seven of my guitars. I originally got them because of a string breakage problem (I'm hamfisted). Suddenly I realized I didn't have to tune between every song. I haven't had string breakage or tuning problems with any of my basses. But I wouldn't be against changing out the saddles for GraphTechs...

7. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    My Peavey Millennium Plus 4 came with a Tusq nut and I couldn't be happier! They're not fooling when they claim that open notes will sound more like fretted ones - they sound the same! There's no noticeable difference in tone or clarity between the fretted and open, so now I feel free to use open notes! I will have them on all of my basses.

8. Nitto

Nitto

Mar 18, 2007
    Adelaide, South Aus
    i got a graphtec for my fretless jazz and have never turned back, it tunes super smooth and has more sustain now, i would only swap it up for a brass nut.