Difference between index and middle finger tone

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by darkjoker667, Aug 22, 2004.

1. darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    Is there supposed to be a difference between when a bassist plucks with his index finger and when he plucks with his middle finger? My index finger has a more clear distinct tone while my middle finger have more of a "thud" type tone. I used to pop with my index finger, so I have more of a callous on my index finger than on my middle finger. I sanded most of the index callous off but I think it came back stronger. Any ways I can fix this?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The way to fix it is practice. Play slowly with fingers alternating and try to make the sound from each finger match as closely as possible.
  3. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Woah if you sand off your callous they grow back stronger
    that's sweet
  4. You get a more direct tone with your index, and a smoother one with your middle/ring fingers. If I want to emphasize a certain part (considering its slow), I'll do it all with my index.
  5. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    If you're no longer using your index finger to pop, the callous will probably eventually go away. I rarely pop, so I have no callous on either of my plucking fingers.

And concentrate on using the same amount of "flesh" for each finger. If you're plucking with the fingertip of your index finger, but catching some of the fleshy pad when using your middle digit, that will create a different tone.

Good luck.