1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference between installing Roundwounds and Flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HazyMan, Nov 3, 2018.

1. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    I posted this thread in the wrong forum, i apologize

First off, i want to say that i tried to search threads with this topic but i'm still not very sure on what i should do when installing Flatwounds, so i made this thread.
    When i install roundwounds, i cut the tuning post part of the string by a few inches so that i don't end up with too many windings and then i bend the very end of the string to make sure that the windings don't unwind or that the inner core does not slip, then i try to put the string, wind it around the tuning post and tune to pitch. I tried doing the exact same with the flatwounds that i got, but i got some bad results. The A string sounds rather dull compared to the other strings and i think it might be due to me installing these strings badly. My main question is: What do i have to do with the Flatwound strings when i install them? Is it required that i bend the very end of the string with the flatwounds, or do i just cut what is not needed and put the string without having to bend the very end? Also, when i put flatwounds, i learned this other problem known as the "twisted string". What precautions do i have to take to prevent twisted strings?
    Also, this is the first time that i encounter those coloured silk parts in both ends of the strings. What do i need to know about them? I have installed Ernie Ball Cobalt Flatwounds on an Ibanez SR500, btw.
    That's all, thanks for reading.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  2. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Flatwound strings tend to sound a bit more muted, I guess that's what gives you the impression that something is off?
    Installing flats vs rounds makes no difference, it's more hex core vs round core that needs consideration.

Aqualung60 and JRA like this.
  3. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    I don't know, the rest of the strings sound just as fine as i want them. However the A string itself sounds semi-dead and i do not like that. Are flatwounds the strings that have a hex core?

4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
  5. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Oh my, sorry my mistake! I want to put the thread on "strings" but my mind was off and i accidentaly put it on basses... how do i change that?

6. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Did the string gauge change from rounds to flats?

7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    No problem! That happens every day! :D

Contact Us | TalkBass.com

Just ask the mods to move it or wait. ;)

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

HazyMan likes this.
  8. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Yes. From 40-95 to 45-100

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i can't speak for flats, but you can get round wounds with hex or round core.

HazyMan likes this.
  10. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    How is the A string sitting in the nut slot?

11. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    it looks fine. i didn't have any difficulty fitting the string in the nut slot and it's not positioned differently than the rest of the strings.

12. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Have you tried losening the string making sure it's not twisted?

13. One thing that is good to do when changing strings (mostly on round core or flatwounds, but you might as well do it on hex cores too), is to crimp the string right above where you cut it for length. This will stop the windings from coming undone, which usually causes what you describe with strings sounding dead.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  14. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    yes, i've only made things worse by slightly tearing the silk wrap...

15. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    that's the bend trick that i mentioned too, right? i did that with the flatwounds that i installed

16. Yeah, I just noticed. I misread it as the bend on the tuning post. My bad.

It sounds like you might have a dud string.

Aqualung60, Rock Salad and HazyMan like this.
  17. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Seriously though, do i also have to do that trick to flatwounds too? Even with the silk wraps? I thought i made a big mistake by doing that..

18. Its actually hard to twist a string, it requires doing it voluntarily.
    So if you didnt feel any preassure or uncomfort when installing its probably not twisted.
    I would wait a few weeks until strings break in and hear if the diffence is still present...
    Silk have nothing to do, it just protects the tuning post.
    If the string is not unwraped and not twisted, is not you.

19. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Putting these strings on was absolute hell. I've never ever had a nice, calm, easy and pleasant time while restringing my bass. It's one of the worst things ever.

20. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    The kinking of the string before clipping the ends is standard procedure with all round core strings. It prevents the wraps from slipping from the core.

Big Strings, Wisebass and HazyMan like this.