Difference between Laklands?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greg Huff, Jan 28, 2006.

1. I was just looking around, and right now I am considering getting a lakland 55-02, and I was just wondering, are there any major differences between the 55-02 and the 55-94? :confused: if so, would it be worth the extrra money to get the 55-94?

Both look like excelent basses, so it seems like both are great purchases in their own right.

Thanks for the help,

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The 55-94 is made in america, which is very important to some people. It is made of more specially selected woods, usually has beautiful birdseye maple fingerboard if maple is your thing, and overall a higher attention to detail.
  3. Right right, that makes some sence, but hey, I don't care where it's made, as long as it plays well then it's all good! Anyways, I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the 55-02, and whether it would be a good purchase for playing a bit of everything, but with most of my playing being in blues-rock, jazz and folk.

Any comments or suggestions would be great! :help:
  4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    well you certainly can't go wrong with either bass.

I have the U.S. version. Ok, now I'm going to get subjective and probably confuse the issue.

* The import versions play wonderfully and represent a great value.
    * Having said that, I'd by a USA Lull for the money over an import Lakland. Why, heck if I know but where it is made matters to me. .....AND, I seriously don't know why.

If I'm going to buy a Sadowsky, Lull or Lakland I want it made here. That's just my psychosis though.
  5. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Then get the 55-02 - all Laklands have really great setups and play superbly right off the rack.
    It has been said that the Korean Lakies are 80% of the quality for 50% of the price of the US models.
  6. 55-02's are amazing for the price. They'd have to be one of the most versatile basses out there, they look awesome, built to high standards and play awesome! String spacing isn't too close yet the neck isn't wide and bulky.

Go for it!
  7. I've owned both and I can say to me they felt like 2 different basses. 55-94 had more sustain and resonance and played a lot smoother. The 55-02 didn't suck but I wouldn't get another one, I'd call it unremarkable.
  8. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    i had the chance to try a 4 strings Deluxe versus a Korean one and to me difference was obvious. The Deluxe sounded much better.
    That is why I got a 55-94. But I should say that I didn't compare any other 5 strings with it.

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

That would be a great point if the USA Lull were the same price as the 55-02. The USA Lull is more comperable to the 55-94 in terms of price, though.

A better American-made comparison for the imported 55-02 in terms of price is a Stingray or MIA Fender.
  10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

That's interesting, because they have the same electronics. Wood does matter (as do strings, etc.).

The 55-94 has a slightly different neck (quarter-sawn vs. flat-sawn for the 55-02) and finish on the back of the neck (55-94 has an oil finish that is supposed to be unbelievable where the 55-02 has a satin finish that I'm really loving on my DJ).

Both have graphite reinforcement bars in the neck and identical electronics, and the 55-02's electronics are installed and the bass is set up in Chicago, while the initial construction is done in Korea -- probably 80% of the work on the bass is done in Korea.

The 55-94 is also offered in a much wider range of finishes and wood choices.

One option is to look for a good used 55-94. While the 55-02s represent an amazing value at under $1200 (street) new, 55-94s are often to be found used for around $1900. Most people who spend that kind of money on a bass take pretty good care of it, so you could wind up with an amazing USA model for not TOO much more than a new imported 55-02.

Of course, once you're talking about spending almost $2k on a bass, MANY other excellent options are in play (USA Lull, Sadowsky Metro, used Roscoe, Modulus, etc.)
  11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO the 55-02 is a fantastic bass and it will handle the styles of music you're playing quite well. If you watch the used market for one, you'll get an even better deal.
  12. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Like you said,wood does matter and it made me think a lot about it.
    No matter what electronics you put on, it does start with good quality wood (from that experience) and good labour.

When I say that the Deluxe sounded much better ,I meant more fundamentals in the overall sound which I guess was produced because the wood was vibrating more then the Korean one.

13. thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    I've only played one Skyline, but I can't remember if it was a 55-01 or a 55-02. I'm thinking it was the 02, because I was looking for that style of bass at the time and was comparing with a used Stingray 5. The Lakland had a maple fingerboard, but I was much more impressed that day with the Stingray 5 for its liveliness, clarity, and low-end.

Today I'm a 55-94 owner and am loving every second. It's the best playing bass I've ever owned. It has a rosewood fingerboard. Oddly enough, I usually prefer maple, but the warmer vibe of this bass better fits the music I play.

If you go with Lakland, be prepared to have your string choices limited because of the scale and headstock config. I use only Lakland strings and find them quite good and reasonably priced when ordering direct.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a 55-02 and I love it. That said, I have played a 55-94 maybe six or seven times and it is a better made bass. I don't know about better sounding, but I will know for sure in about two weeks after my 55-02 gets a few frets replaced and a topnotch setup.