1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

difference between light and medium

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Sergio Barrozo, Feb 27, 2008.

1. I'm using D'Addario Helicore Pizzicato Series light tension. As my E string broke, and it' was almost new, I sent it to D'Addario and they sent me a new E string, but the one they sent is 'medium tension'.
    I did not installed it in my bass because the others are light tension.
    I would like to buy new A, D and G, medium tension, to install together with this new E.
    I ask:
    As I'm used to play with light tension strings, will I notice a big difference using medium tension or not?
    For many years I was playing with Thomastik solo strings tunned in G, D, A, E, and this is the first time I use D'Addario strings. For this reason I'm afraid I'll feel a big difference with medium tension strings.
    Can someone help me?

2. Maybe you could install the new, medium gauge, E and see how you feel it.

On the other hand, that string breakage may be seen as a hint that quality control has dropped at D'Addario lately.
    There has been several threads on this forum about this.

My advice is that you get back to Thomastik.
    Despite their higher price, they're definitely better quality and more durable, which is an economy in the long run...

Best regards,
    François

3. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oi Sergio!

A corda E geralmente tem menos tensão do que o resto. Então, acho que vc não vai ter problema com as cordas que são "medium". No pasado, eu tive usado o Spirocore Mittel e o Weich (light), e não foram tão diferente que me deram problemas.

English translation: In general, E strings can tend to have less tension than the rest of a set. So, I don't think it should be a problem to use medium strings. I've used Spiro Mittels and Weichs, and the difference between the two wasn't enough to give me any problems.

Ps - I grew up in Brasil