1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference between Lopping and Sampling

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mikeyschu, Feb 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mikeyschu

Mikeyschu

Feb 3, 2017
    My band has a few offers to play as a Trio.

I need to replace the sounds of the drummer and the bass and keyboard player?
    Do I buy a looper and play their parts and then save for a live situation or do I get a sampler and just sample those missing parts from either my painstaking time and recording or sample it right from the actual recording.

In some tunes I only need a certain part replaced. A sax or trumpet riff.

Help. Obviously I'm a novice at this pre-recorded music for live perfomance situation.

Mikey

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I can't help, but watching with interest, need to learn this aspect myself. :) I've yet to find a box that makes looping of live recordings in time really well, but I know they exist. (Of course, my timing is suspect, too, :unsure: but still, a better box would help.)

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't understand. Are you a one man band?

4. Mikeyschu

Mikeyschu

Feb 3, 2017
    I don't understand. Are you a one man band?

We're a trio. We need fill the missing spaces since we don't have the drummer or guitarist/keyboardist for the gigs. Some songs require that we need to fill the keys parts and some songs I'll need to fill the bass parts if I play the keys and some some songs need some horn parts added.

We will need a drum beat on all songs.

Mike

5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Sounds like you need a laptop playing backing tracks.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  6. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Sounds like a job for MIDI, to me.

7. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Looping is when you choose something off.... Like a hand or hair.... Sampling is when you either try out a bunch of things... Or digitally record sounds for playback...

(I couldn't resist...... ;) )

BurnOut likes this.
  8. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Sorry, I thought this was a tree trimming thread. I just got some free sample lopping shears off the classifieds.

Joedog likes this.