DIfference between m-audio Audiophile and Revolution for recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Mandobass, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    both claim to be true 24bit/96khz, but there's gotta be some technical differences that make the audiophile a better card for recording. anyone know?
  2. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Same question here.

I'm thinking about buying a Revolution...

Someone here know de difference?

3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    A quick glance at the two (specs and manuals, I have no first-hand experience) gives away the following:

Revolution: No MIDI in/out, only S/PDIF out, one stereo line input (supposedly ok for recording), one mono mic input (usually these are to be avoided when quality is of any importance at all - they tend to induce all kinds of noises in the recorded signal). Probably no ASIO OR WDM drivers - which probably would mean HIGH latency in recording situations!

Audiophile: MIDI in/out, S/PDIF in/out, 2 channels of input and output. ASIO compatiblity.

Depending on how the Revolution was designed, you may actually get more useable inputs and outputs on that card. However, that's not custom and therefore probably not the case. And if you can use the digital and analogue ins and outs of the Audiophile simultaneously, we have a winner there. (Although I don't know whether that's possible or not. Didn't care to read the manual enough.)

Anyway, this would reveal that the Revolution indeed is a consumer card (though a very nice one) and the Audiophile is a pro-grade card (though a budget model). If anything, the driver compatibility gives it away.
    If you only want to do very simple recordings, and don't mind pulling your newly recorded track in correct sync with the others in your recording software... the Revolution would be okay. Plus, you get high-quality surround - the Audiophile might be high quality, but it doesn't have surround outputs.

The Audiophile on the other hand, can record and play back (at least?) two tracks at once, with little latency.

So, what are you going to use the card for? Serious audio and MIDI recording work? Get the Audiophile. Playing games and watching DVD's? Revolution.

Both? Beats me. Get... both? :meh:

Sorry if this was incoherent, I have no idea why I am not sleeping.
  4. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    i actually passed out both, and opted for the Delta 410.

it's in the delta series, so it's got the dank driver compatability, and it has spdif, 2 inputs, and 10 outputs.

my one concern was surround sound and other multimedia functions. the delta 410 has it covered.

it's retail price is 250, audiophile is 200. however, at newegg.com you can get the delta 410 for $110 shipped!! best deal on any consumer level pro grade card.
  5. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    the logitech z680 connects to soundcards via three 1/8 inch jakcs(one for front two channels, one for rear two, and one for center/sub). my question is this: how do i connect 1/8 inch jacks to RCA jacks in this type of application? ive seen converters, but the only one i found converted two RCA inputs to a 1/8inch outputs.

6. HooBass

May 27, 2003
    Have to admit -- I don't have one in my hand, however, I'd swear I've seen these.

I've shopped at Radio Shack (heresy, I know :) ) and it seemed they had what you're looking for. Have to admit I don't think I have one in my vast collection!