Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

difference between mesa 400, and 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Jul 13, 2005.

1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The Mesa 400 was the earlier version. It's powered a bit lower, and has 6 power tubes rather than 12 I believe. There is also a difference in the preamps. The 400+ has two seperate preamps...the 400 does not.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm not sure that this is entirely correct, cheeze-man. The D-180 had only one input voicing, but the 400 has two, just like the 400+. I think that the manual for both with regard to the voicing of inputs 1 and 2 are identical.

As for power, the 400 was designed to run six 6550's, which would be the same power output as the twelve 6l6's in the 400+. However, the 400 could also run 6l6's, and many of them did in fact do this. There is also some speculation as to whether or not the output transformers of the Bass 400 were up to the task of getting a full 300w out of six 6550's. At any rate, I think that it is important to note that in theory, a Bass 400 with six 6550's will be about as powerful as a 400+ with twelve 6l6's, and a 400 with six 6l6's will be about half as powerful as a 400+.

At least, this is how I understand it.

Tom.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Tom is more knowledgable than I in these matters, so I'd take his word for it! My post was based on some VERY preliminary research on my newly acquired 400+. Thanks for the info Tom!

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The EQ is different from one to the other. The 400 had a six band, and the 400+ has a 7 band...unless you have an earlier 'transitional' 400+ which may have the 6 band.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ugh. i found a used 400 on the bay for 550. not sure if its too good to be true. everyone i know who has one has the 400+. i think i will just wait.

kinda wish i had jumped on that one with the flight case. :crying: :mad:

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Personally, I find the 400 to be more desirable than the 400+.

But of course, I did get the one in the shock mount case... :ninja: :bag:

Tom.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Don't stress on the shock case...I have one, and it sits in my apartment. Its just too big and heavy when loaded up. I've been using a slightly smaller 5 space non-shock rack for mine.

That case is a monster...weighs as much as the head, and really needs 2 guys to carry it.