Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between MIM and Squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, May 22, 2001.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

So what is the the differences between MIMs and Squiers, bridge, pick ups, neck etc. Im looking for a cheap project bass that will be fretless. So I would buy a MIM fretless and upgrade as money permitted or Squier and yank the frets and upgrade sooner.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Help me out guys.

3. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    To answer your question: Not a whole lot. Squier = Made in Indonesia, Korea, China, etc. MIM = Made in Mexico (D'uh!) Both are economy models, the Squiers more so than the MIM. MIM bodies are typically multi-ply wood, whereas the Squiers are solid Agathis wood. Good luck getting any real info regarding Agathis wood, but from what I have read it is a common (read CHEAP) tone wood from Asia and thereabouts. The hardware on both is very similar, perhaps identical. Pickups aren't the greatest, but still not bad. For your project I would say get a Squier and save a few bucks, the end result will be pretty much the same either way.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

I was wondering about that, I looked at a squier and it looked alot like the MIM but with a worse setup. Are the pick ups the same, tuners, the basics looked the same.

5. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    Well, consider this: I recently purchased a brand new Squier Precision Special (4 string) from my local music store for $200. They wanted $250 originally but when I showed them my MF catalog they matched the price. :) For my $200 I got a solid wood body, beautiful metallic red finish with white pickguard, PJ pickups, VVT controls, 34 inch scale, rosewood board, and solid chrome hardware. If I (or you) paid the extra $100 or so for the MIM equivalent of this bass, what would you get for the extra $100? Better wood? Doubt it. Better hardware? Doubt it. Better pickups? Maybe. Doubt it. A big "Fender" decal on the headstock instead of a "Squier" decal? BINGO!

6. I owned a squier for like 2 weeks. I was told is was almost as good as a MIM. I tried to like it, i really did, but it was horrible. it had the most horrible buzz whenever i played. the pickups weren't the greatest. and the sound was just bleh.

So then i sold it for more than what i bought it for.
    ::buggs bunny voice:: Ain't I a stinker? ::buggs bunny voice off::

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Fender stuff is made to a price so buy the one you like/afford. The woods and hardware are different. Mims are made of poplar (as are some Musicmans, Parker Fly's and other top end instruments) this sparks raging debates but I have no problem with it as a wood. The sunburst ones have maple front and back. The pickups are better on the Mim (the Affinity ones are very poor). If you intend mutating a bass and changing the hardware electrics go for a Squier. I would personally go for a Mim fretless and a good condition secondhand one at that.

All my opinion

happy hunting

8. IMO, MIM are closer to MIA then MIM are to sqiuers. Especially for the price. THe MIM will trun into a much finer product then the squier.

Remember kids, you can polish _____

9. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    What about the old MIM "Squier Series" P-basses that said "Fender" on the headstock. How do those compare to the current MIM's and Squiers?
    One of those was my first bass. Any Fender bass archaeologists out there?

10. If you can find an old Squier, made in Japan, it will blow the doors off a MIM, in fact it will likely blow off a MIA from the same period too. These do turn up used, and are an excellent buy, but it HAS to be an MIJ. They are considered by Fender experts to way better than their American counterparts.

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I cannot remember a MIM Squier but it could of happened.

Alrighty then off the top of my head…

The original Squier series consisted of 'vintage' models with a Large Fender and a small squier. It consisted basswise of 57 and 62 Precisions and a 62 Jazz. They were all sunburst and the 57 P had a white scratchplate. BTW The Fender Vintage ( USA V series) had similar models but the J had stack knobs and the 57 P had a gold plated scratchplate. These were all produced around 82. I think that the Squiers held their own against the V series.

After the name was accepted the logos were swapped and other colours introduced, maybe in that order but I am not sure.

Production was changed from Japan to err somewhere else. The quality IMHO went down until the Silver series. The silver series was made in Japan and was a return to form. I think that they have black scratchplates (the ones I played did).

In the mid 90's Fender produced another large fender small squier made MIJ series. The Jazz had a single white scratchplate with J knobs. The one I played was excellent.

The affinity series is made in China and is the budget budget model if you know what I mean. The body is plywood the tuners don’t and the pickups squeal. However they are excellent value and I had a Strat that I sold against my better judgement.

A couple of years ago Squier Japan released the Pro Tone series I never saw a bass but there was a trans blue Strat with gold hardware and a wine red Thinline Tele. I played the Tele and it was lovely.

The problem with Fender is that they keep switching production, woods and prices at will.

I could have missed something and it was 19 years ago so please correct me.

12. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    The one I have is a P-bass. It has the large "Fender" in the usual spot and the small "Squier Series" located at the end of the headstock. It says "Made in Mexico" underneath the "Fender" and has the serial number MN406116. It's black with a single ply white pickguard and white plastic numbered knobs. My only complaint about it is that it's hard to get a low action on it without buzzing the higher frets.

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Jazzv

Thats a Mim 94 Squier then I stand corrected

Thanks I will remember that for future reference

CS

14. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    I have the same thing only in Jazz bass, and its a '95. Was wondering about the new squires, because where mine says fender on the headstock, the new say squire. I will post pics soon, have to get the film developed. :)

Great question