Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between Musicman Stingray and Sterling basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lownotes02, Feb 28, 2005.

1. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    Can anybody tell me if there is a difference in sound between the Stingray and Sterling basses? I want to buy something that has a bright, snappy funk tone and Ive read the Stingray and J bazz are excellent candidates, but what is the diff between the Stingray and the Sterling? (besides a thinner neck, which I dont really care about, Id rather have a fatter sound)
    Thanks in advance for your help

2. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    Sorry, I just did a search and realize this question has been beat to death. Let me rephrase...I have a TON of EBs already, I just need one with THE slap tone. Ive read the Stingray is a one-trick pony, but its hard to beat for what it does. Can the Sterling duplicate the sound of the Stingray (obviously its more versatile due to the pickups) or is there a limitation with the Sterling sound-wise that only a Stingray can deliver?

3. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    Thanks Joshua. I didnt mean to imply that the SR was one-sided, I was reading something to that effect based on previous posts. I have a bunch of other basses for whatever sound I need, but I just wanted that MM coveted sound.
    Okay, dumb question number two (and thanks for your patience)
    Can you tell me if I went with the 2-band is there something I should look for in the way of year made, number of knobs, etc? How would I identify a two band from a three band?
    Ive been to music stores and played all kinds of SRs and Sterlings, but Ive found that playing one live over a drummer with a full band is completely different than playing one at a music store, which is why Im interested in talking to owners like yourself before I take the plunge, to help me narrow things down.
    Thanks again for your help.

4. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    Thanks Joshua, that certainly helps a lot. The fact that you were able to compare it to an older MM will certainly help influence my decision. I play jazz/funk and the guitar player plays clean 90% of the time, so Im sure I wont have any problem cutting thru. Nice sig, by the way....from a fellow Zappa fan. Thanks again for your input.

Shawn, I will send you an email as Im definitely interested.