1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference Between MXR Bass Auto Q & MXR Auto Q ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Slackerprince, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Wondering if there is a big difference in these pedals, or if the regular Auto Q would work for bass, too.
    Appreciate any info.
    Thanks.

S.

2. Anybody?

3. I'd guess that it has something to do with the lowest freq and highest freq that the filter operates at, it'll be lower for bass, and higher for guitar...

My advice? Try it and see if you like it, that's all that matters in the end..

4. ba$$

ba$$

Jul 23, 2010
    AZ
    I'm sure the regular would work for bass, however they make the bass specific version for a reason - to capture the low end of the bass. I had the Bass Auto Q and it was pretty sweet. A lot of pretty funky options on there. If you are a bass player, and are interested in this pedal, I don't think it makes much sense to get the guitar version as opposed to the bass version.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I use the bass auto Q and I have tried the regular bass auto Q on several occasions

There really is a difference in sound overall. The bass auto Q is really a Dunlop 105Q on steroids.

Just put both auto Q's side by side and see what the difference is.

I am a Dunlop/MXR endorser

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I really like the bass auto q and quite miss it. I sold it off to buy more boutique filters but really, its a gem and does sound very much like the 105q wah. Don't bother with the guitar version as you would be disappointed if all your bottom end drops out. The bass version has a volume control which is fantastic as you can set it for unity gain or have a bit of boost to stand out if desired. Its not a true bypass pedal but it has a very good bypass.

8. Thanks for the input.
    I saw a guitar version on craigs for a good price and noticed at the last minute that it wasn't the Bass version.
    Thanks for saving me a few bucks!!

S

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021