1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference between old and new Mesa RR 2x15 models?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicolas, Mar 18, 2008.

1. nicolas

nicolas

Jul 6, 2006
    Belgium
    hey can anybody tell me what the main differences are between the old mesa boogie roadready 2x15 cabs and the new ones, apart from cosmetics? I can find specs on the new models but not the old ones. I'm talking about this one:

0434_1.

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    the only similarity is that they are made by the same company. the cabinet design is totally different as are the speakers. old ones used EV's while the new one uses Mesa Powerhouse. new one has a tweeter, old one doesn't. folks love the older ones. not so much praise for the new ones.

JR

3. nicolas

nicolas

Jul 6, 2006
    Belgium
    ok so the older ones are better. do they have the same power rating?

4. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    hmmm, not sure about the truth of that last sentence.

There certainly is a lot of love for the older EV loaded Mesa Diesels, but there are lots of players who dearly love their newer Powerhouse/RR cabs as well. They both sound pretty amazing.

The difference is:
    driver compliment Diesels only have the 15' EV drivers while the PH/RRs have the 15's plus the tweet.
    crossover controls ... Powerhouse/RR cabs have the 3 way adjustable crossover and a tweet level control, the older Diesels only have the tweet control. I don't have the exact dimension data for both, but they are fairly comparably sized and ported.

Cab tone is a very personal thing, so the best thing to do, as always, is to try them out personally and see which cabs work better for your sound and playing situation.

good luck

5. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I've played them both. I own that older 400-watt model and love the biting midrange it gives. It's also very efficient (i.e. loud).

The newer model has higher power rating and seems tuned lower. It seemed flabby and inefficient compared to the older model. The new one has more low lows and is probably killer under some 10s.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Besides the speakers and electronics being different, the cab is designed differently. The older cabs are heavier, and are very stiff (dense), which contribute to it's tighter more focussed tone. The new ones are a bit lighter, and they use a type of bracing that's similar to the bracing used in airplanes to stiffen up the cab.

The older models have a little bit less bass but more clarity and aggressive mids, while the new ones are a bit more low endy and more polite and modern sounding.