Difference between older Epifani 2x12 & The newest versions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by savinggrace, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Hello Ya'll,
    I have a Epifani 2x12 from around 2000. I was wondering if there is any difference besides the power handling compared to the two versions that are out now. Is there any difference tone-wise, and if so, what is it?

2. Since you haven't had any response, I can compare the NYC310 to the 310UL and the NYC210 (the old 'vertical' version) to the 210UL. Since the differences in sound are similar across these two cabs, I would think it would hold across the 2-12 also.

First, obviously, the new cabs are lighter. This is obvious, but I wanted to make the point because they are shockingly lighter.... like night and day. The UL's are a dream to cart around.

Sound.... I really like the UL line's sound much better than the older and now discontinued NYC line. The primary difference to me is in the upper midrange response. The UL line is really articulate, with lot's of note definition. It seems Nick changed the crossover somewhat too, because the treble response is somewhat crisper to my ear without the slight amount of brittleness that I always hear in the older cabs. Finally, the low end is a little more compressed. I actually like that, since it tends to punch a little more and have a little less rumble.

For context, I like a bright tone with lot's of definition. I use MTD basses primarily, and the comparisons are based on the using a WW Ultra head.

So, you won't quite get that huge low end that you have with your current 2-12, but the punch and high end should be more articulate, especially if you like a somewhat 'modern' sound.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i searched for a thread i statrted asking the same question way before the UL series came out, asking if there was a big diference between the diagonally mounted version and the original side by side version. IIRC, the answer was that it wasn't huge.

FWIW, Nick Epifani et al should be able to answer your question if you give them a ring or shoot them an e-mail. At least in terms of frequency response and their own subjective opinions.
  4. I agree with the mounting configuration. The 210 side mount versus diagonal was not a big difference either... however, the UL versus NYC difference is very significant.
  5. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    If you wanted to sell that NYC cab gimmie a ring. I'm not a NEO speaker guy myself
  6. Hello All,
    Thanks for the responses! I will probably contact Nick just to make sure. I bought mine physically from Epifani's shop. I went there, picked out the 2x12 (which at that time was their new design) and took it back to Austin where I used to live.

I like the beast. Nice and punchy and pairs up with my i-Amp very well...